Issue with the deco M5 cannot update firmware, therefore can not add new deco

2024-03-06 05:59:38 - last edited 2024-03-07 02:40:00
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Now 1.7.4

I've been using my Deco for a while in a single-floor apartment with stone walls and a long hallway, requiring a mesh system for full coverage. About two weeks ago, issues arose. Before you ask, my gaming system, TV, and computer are wired, confirming the network was initially stable.

I followed the common practice of powering off and unplugging both modem and Deco, waiting 5 minutes for a proper power cycle. However, reconnecting did not resolve the unstable connection. Deleting and creating a new system also failed. Strangely, I couldn't add the main Deco to the system, encountering firmware update failures.

Despite multiple resets and moving closer to the modem, the problem persisted. Contacting Deco customer support, I detailed my troubleshooting steps. Despite my efforts, the support representative insisted on resetting the modem and Deco. Following the protocol yielded no results, and subsequent suggestions mirrored what I had already attempted.

Frustration grew as the representative seemed to search online for solutions. Eventually, after verifying details and realizing the Deco was likely out of warranty, I was left with no resolution.

In the end, I discovered a workaround. If facing a similar issue, try using a different Deco as the main unit. Press the reset button until it shows yellow and then flashing blue. Add this Deco, ensuring Bluetooth, location, and power-saving mode are on. Continue adding Decos until all are connected, then update the firmware. My main Deco turned out to be faulty, and I luckily found a replacement on the marketplace.

The moral of the story: consider switching your main Deco if you can't add it to your network. Customer service proved less than helpful in this case. Good luck, and thanks for reading.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 73

Replies: 0

Related Articles