Question about mesh wifi, which unit will extend the wifi signal to a wireless satelite?

Question about mesh wifi, which unit will extend the wifi signal to a wireless satelite?

2024-03-07 21:30:29
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a question about a mesh system I wish to purchase. Namely the BE85. (3 units)

My setup would be the following :

Floor 1 : 1 satellite acting as dhcp (main unit)
Ground floor : 1 satellite wired to the main unit on the 1st floor.

Now I would like to put another satellite somewhere on the ground floor (wirelessly, that is, a few meters from the wired unit on the ground floor).

Now my question is this: will that extra wireless satellite take its wifi signal from the main unit on the 1st floor to amplify or can I set it up to take the wifi signal from the wired satellite on the ground floor (which is going to be a lot closer...)? Or will that wireless satellite necessarily want to amplify the wifi of the main unit? (That's a problem because it will be too far away to give a decent signal to the wireless unit).

On the main unit I have the luxury of connecting 2 utp cables (1 comes from the modem and 1 goes down to the wired satellite downstairs to connect a wired satellite). 

On the ground floor I only have 1 utp cable connection so I can't use that as a dhcp....

In my tech room I also have a switch where some iot wired devices are connected (solar panels, power management, sauna, ....) 

Thanks in advance.

Frederiek

Options
2 Reply
Re:Question about mesh wifi, which unit will extend the wifi signal to a wireless satelite?
2024-03-08 07:10:55

@Frederiek 

Hi,  Nice to see you again.

You can select which signal to take, whether the main BE85 or Groud floor BE85.

For more details, please refer to

Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source

And How to use Ethernet Ports on Deco?

Best regards.

Options
Re:Question about mesh wifi, which unit will extend the wifi signal to a wireless satelite?
2024-03-08 11:01:19
works like a charm, very happy with my BE85 setup, good job TP-link!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 234

Replies: 2

Related Articles