Speedtest

Speedtest

Speedtest
Speedtest
2024-04-12 15:46:26
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.9

I was wondering in the next firmware if the xe75 can have a built in speedtest added to the app. The deco m5 has it built in on a separate network I have, and I would love if the xe75 pro had it as well. It's newer and better hardware so wondering why it's not already included. The m5 has had it for years.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Speedtest
2024-04-12 23:44:37

@Polie 
No, don't think it will ever come back unless, 80% or 90% of their client base ditch Tp-Link products and services and by then, maybe or perhaps or god knows, they will start listening to their customers feedbacks/request.

It was stated that X20 V3 and V4, doesn't supports this internet speed test feature in app.

But when I changed my X20 to the main unit in my X50s network, it showed up. Where else, if I set the X50s back as a main, the internet speed test option will be hidden in the deco app.

Why? I have no idea, and the speed test doesn't really truly works as intended and does not really reflects the actual speed I'm subscribed to.

ASUS has this built in and baked into their routers/mesh software with no issues, Tp Link is only interested in churning out more sophiscated and state of the art products that are subscription based.

Options
2024-04-12 23:55:38

@Omochao 

The deco m5 was pretty accurate to my speeds. If it's not added by blackfriday I'm going with a differnt product. The xe75 pro sometimes drops and the distance is not at all good compared to the m5. The range is soooooo much better with the m5 vs xe75 pro. I have gig hsi and 6e devices which is the only reason I switched, along with having 2x 2.5gb ports on the base unit.

Options
2024-04-13 11:37:04 - last edited 2024-04-15 06:37:58

@Polie They removed the "speedtest" function from the app for all models (except M5 & M9 Plus afaik). I don't think they're gonna bring it back.

If you go to "Deco Lab" (under "More" tab in the app), it tells you to download "Wi-Fi toolkit" app for the speedtest option, which is just too much

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-04-13 14:26:38 - last edited 2024-04-13 14:27:37

ImtiazAli wrote

If you go to "Deco Lab" (under "More" tab in the app"), it tells you to download "Wi-Fi toolkit" app for the speedtest option, which is just too much

@ImtiazAli 

I did install that Wi-Fi toolkit, it is the same code that runs under Deco Lab, but separated from Deco app. Its speed test also tests wireless speed, not wired link between Main Deco and Internet.

"Test Internet Speed" in Deco app is not coming back. It must have been part of third-party package withing Deco firmware, providing antivirus and other services. TP-Link, as far as I can tell, switched to a different third-party provider for these services. That new third-party provider package does not have speed test in it.

Does not matter how many people will be asking for it, the chances of "Test Internet Speed" button coming back in new Deco models is zero. It were business decision to go with different third-party provider, I am thinking, software development folks at TP-Link won't be able to bring that feature back even if they wanted to.

Options
2024-04-15 06:57:12

Alexandre. wrote

I did install that Wi-Fi toolkit, it is the same code that runs under Deco Lab, but separated from Deco app.

@Alexandre. That's my point; if it's the same code of Deco Lab, why make it a separate option? I don't wanna download another app just for one function

Alexandre. wrote

Its speed test also tests wireless speed, not wired link between Main Deco and Internet.

If that's the case, they need to update the support page (How do I test speed of Deco?), because it still says that speed test measures speed between main Deco & modem, not wireless

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-04-15 10:21:00 - last edited 2024-04-15 10:25:37

@ImtiazAli 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

It has been mentioned in the note of the FAQ:

NOTE:

1. The speed test result shows the speed that the main deco gets from the modem, not the speed on the client connected to the deco.

2. The Test Internet Speed function is only available on Deco M5, Deco M1300, Deco P7, Deco M9 Plus, Deco W3600 V1/V1.2, Deco X20 V1/V1.2, Deco X25 V1, and Deco X60 V1/V2.(I remember Deco XE200/BE85/95 also have this feature)

3. If you have multiple Deco models forming a mesh network together, the Test Internet Speed will only appear when the above Deco models are configured as the main Deco.

For other models, they didn't support "Test Internet Speed" since the first firmware and there is no plan to add it later either.

There used to be another feature "Speedtest" in the Deco lab, which has been removed for all models. It works similarly to the Ookala Speedtest APP or Wi-Fi toolkit if you want to test the client speed from Deco.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-04-15 11:24:41

@David-TP I can confirm that BE85 has the speedtest feature, which is a must have feature in 2024, to be able to test connectivity just behind the internet provider modem.

Options
2024-04-15 15:06:51

@ImtiazAli 

The wifi tool kit ONLY tests the wifi speed of the device connected, not the wired speed between the router, modem/internet. Wifi speed as we all know varies wildly depending on conditions and devices connected. Older phone just can't use the bandwidth available and will always show a slower speed than what is actually available. The speedtest function is available on some deco devices, but not all. This is asinine and should be fixed in the next firmware.

Options
2024-04-17 06:22:46

Hi  @David-TP -  I have a client using Deco X20(2-pack) (US) Ver:3.0 and the "Test Internet Speed" feature is definitely enabled. I also have another client using X50-Outdoor as the main device and it would be very beneficial if it also had this feature to allow remote management.

Are you suggesting that the "Test Internet Speed" won't be added to any models in the future? And if so will it remain on the models that do have it?

In my case if I add an X20 as the main device and make the X50-OUTDOOR the satellite will this work and allow me to check the internet speed remotely?

Regards Rob 

Options
2024-04-17 09:30:45 - last edited 2024-04-17 09:34:35

@RobAC 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I knew Deco X20 V1/V1.2 still had "Test Internet speed". V2 doesn't. I thought Deco X20_V3 didn't either but it's great to know it still does.

(But can you double-check it? I vaguely recall some users mentioning earlier that neither Deco X20_V3 nor V4 has the "Test Internet speed" feature.)

Yes, for the models who don't have it now, there is no plan to support it later. But it will remain for the models that do have it.

For the mixed Mesh system with Deco X20(main)+Deco X50-outdoor, I think "Test Internet speed" follows the main Deco and you should still be able to use "Test Internet Speed".

(PS: I don't have these units to test now and would be highly appreciated if you let me know if it isn't here.)

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options