M4 Con Fig back haul

M4 Con Fig back haul

M4 Con Fig back haul
M4 Con Fig back haul
2024-05-09 19:55:42
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Having spent some time going through your community posts. I'm now unsure if what i'm proposing to do will work.

The plan is as follows.

From the ISP router which has four 1GB network links. Three of the network links will go to a TP-Link M4 (so three in total). The forth link will go to a switch to supply wired stuff TV's & PC's. Then a further six M4's will be placed around the home and a garden shed (55m away). The first link will be about the centre of the home, the other two will be at the end of their respective network cables, 30m & 20m running at 90 degrees to each other. Not planing on linking the other M4's via cables.

Will this all work as one mesh?

Will it also give a wired backhaul?

If the main M4 goes down will one of the others take over automatically?

Will I be able to cast from a wireless gadget to the TV's?

What will not work?

Is there anything else to note?

Currently all the M4's go through the main one via one wired connection and when the main went down everything lost the internet.

Thanks very much.

File:
house1.jpgDownload
Options
5 Reply
Re:M4 Con Fig back haul
2024-05-10 06:58:32

@Confucius 

Hi, welcome to the community.

For a topology like this:

First, please make sure Deco M4 is set to Access Point mode.

Then all the 6*Deco M4s will still be under the same Deco Mesh system. The three red star Deco will use Ethernet Backhaul.

If the main Deco M4 goes down, the Deco APP will report an error and ask to switch to satellite #1 or #2 as the main Deco to work as the new main Deco to maintain the internet connection.

You can still cast from a wireless gadget to the TV's

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-05-10 13:12:03

@David-TP 

Thank you David.

Options
2024-05-10 15:46:45
I do have a further question for clarification. "to work as the new main Deco to maintain the internet connection." If the main M4 goes down and I have the app on my phone and I'm not at home or not available at the time. Will internet connectivity be lost until I can get home again and make the change or will it continue uninterrupted?
Options
2024-05-11 02:30:10

@Confucius 

Hi, I think you can switch the AP via remote control but I haven't had the chance to confirm it.

If you don't mind, you could try to manually unplug the main Deco, turn off the Wi-Fi on the mobile phone, and then use 4G/5G mobile data to log into the Deco APP to see whether you can receive a notification to switch the main Deco.

It would be highly appreciated if you could share the result with us.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-05-11 16:33:13

@David-TP 

Hello,

I was hoping for a "yes" or "no" to my question, ie...

A) Yes, you will lose internet until the switch has been made.

B) No, you will not lose internet connectivity.

Anyway this isn't my setup. It's about 20 miles away from me, where my daughter lives. It's a three generation family with upwards of 12 people. So if the head of house has the app on their phone, and they are away on holiday, then there is my "what if" scenario, with the rest of the family at home.

I'm trying to make their setup more resilient. They had it setup and just three days later, it all went down. We do not know why, but after starting from scratch and setting it up again it is now working again.

I may be able to test it out for TP-Link & co., but first I need to convince them to make the changes I think they should do.

Thanks very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 364

Replies: 5

Related Articles