Deco X20: wrong time setting and NTP check error

2024-05-31 08:17:50
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231221

I have two Deco X20's setup in a mesh network and the time setting is not synchronized between the two nodes. Looking at the config for the primary node, everything seems to be setup correctly.

Primary node: time settings is correct

But browsing the settings for the secondary node directly (LAN IP 192.168.71.250) shows that the time setting is wrong on that node (the time always restarts from firmware build date when the node is restarted, so 21/12/2023 and ticking). I can also see a lot of NTP requests in the trace log, and a lot of errors relating to NTP in the secondary node's system log repeating every 10 seconds:

Thu Dec 21 10:02:51 2023 user.crit : ntp check error!!!; errno(2): No such file or directory
Thu Dec 21 10:03:01 2023 user.crit : ntp check error!!!; errno(2): No such file or directory
Thu Dec 21 10:03:11 2023 user.crit : ntp check error!!!; errno(2): No such file or directory

Secondary node: time settings are wrong, NTP error in logs

I've tried a lot of things to fix this: several reboots and factory resets, manually configuring the upstream DNS server manually (for both IPv4 and IPv6). I've also tried using my Raspberry Pi with pihole as DNS server through DHCP config, but it makes no difference, although the pihole logs confirms a lot of constant outbound requests to different NTP servers.

I've seen other users with this error on this forum but none of the other solutions have worked for me. Is my secondary node broken? Or is there something else I can try to fix the time/request flooding issue?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X20: wrong time setting and NTP check error
2024-06-03 07:04:01

@jespernord 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Could you please refer to this link to switch the "secondary node" to the main Deco to see whether it helped:

How to replace the main Deco with another Deco

If the issue continues, could you please send a copy of the system log file to support.forum@tp-link.com with the subject [Forum ID 670010 Deco X20: wrong time setting and NTP check error]?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco X20: wrong time setting and NTP check error
2024-06-05 06:38:59 - last edited 2024-06-05 06:39:23

Hello David, thank you for your reply.

I was not able to switch the satellite Deco with the main one, the network didn't seem to work and had no internet connection once I switched them. I tried to physically switch them and plug in the ethernet cable from the modem in the satellite node, but it also did not work, it just showed a red light on the LED.

I finally factory reset the whole configuration and created my network again, removing the Pihole from the equation, and so far it seems to be working. The time settings are correct on both Deco's.

Perhaps it was using the Pihole as DNS upstream for the DHCP that was causing issues. I will look into it more once I've confirmed this setup is sustainable and that the error doesn't come back after reboots etc.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 214

Replies: 2

Related Articles