Deco XE75 get full functionality of parental control in router vs. AP mode

2024-05-31 10:46:36 - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

Just bought the Deco XE75 (3 pack) and want to install in my home. but before I carry out with installation I have the following questions:

1. I need to get the full functionality of the DECO in term of Parental Control and administration of the network, I imagine this is only attainable if I use the Deco router as main router and not the router supplied by the ISP (in my case it is Etisalat as I am in UAE) and the two other pack of Deco as satellite. I imagine if I use the ISP router/modem as main router and Deco as access point (Ethernent cable from the ISP router to Deco router and the other two connected in Wifi mode through the dedicated band as this is a Tri-band model) I will loose some of the administrative and parental control features. please confirm if my understanding is correct as this happened with me with ORBI netgear mesh before.

2. Can I avoid using the ISP router and connect the Deco main router directly from the ISP fiber optic service box through Ethernet box, is this feasible and beneficial, and what kind of setting do I have to use in Deco to get the router running ?  DHCP or PPPoE ? and what other setting needs to be used like VLAN ID ....etc. 

3. if , ISP router is mandatory, and to get the full features in Deco, Deco router must be used in router mode, this setup would be what is called double NAT, then I need to use the ISP router as bridge, and disable the wifi signal/wave. does anyone know how to change Etisalat router to bridger mode, as I couldn't find this option

3. if eventually the best setup for me is to use the ISP router a Deco in AP mode (and I will not loose any of the functionally of the Parental control and other features), I will have to keep the ISP router in router mode and use the same SSID for ISP router and the Deco mesh. Any other settings are needed that I need to be aware off ? 

I am not an IT geek but I am trying to educate myslef, so please bear with me on the lengthy query.

Thanks

Hani

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco XE75 get full functionality of parental control in router vs. AP mode-Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Hanim76 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Please refer to the following details:

Yes, the Parental Control only works in wireless router mode. I'm not quite sure which features you refer to as "administration of the network". You are still able to manage Deco on the Deco APP in AP mode if that is what you want to know.

And for more details about the difference between Router and AP mode, please refer to 

What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

You could replace the ISP-provided router with Deco.

As for the internet connection type, DHCP(Dynamic IP)or PPPOE, it depends on the ISP, and Deco would use the same internet configuration details as the ISP-provided router.

3. I think you could try to contact Etisalat to see whether they had detailed instructions of how to set the router into bridge mode.

If finally you have to set both ISP router and Deco into wireless router mode(Double NAT like you mentioned in the first post), it is suggested to disable the WiFi on the Etisalat router and use Deco Mesh Wi-Fi only instead of having both enabled and set the same SSID.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 get full functionality of parental control in router vs. AP mode-Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Hanim76 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Please refer to the following details:

Yes, the Parental Control only works in wireless router mode. I'm not quite sure which features you refer to as "administration of the network". You are still able to manage Deco on the Deco APP in AP mode if that is what you want to know.

And for more details about the difference between Router and AP mode, please refer to 

What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

You could replace the ISP-provided router with Deco.

As for the internet connection type, DHCP(Dynamic IP)or PPPOE, it depends on the ISP, and Deco would use the same internet configuration details as the ISP-provided router.

3. I think you could try to contact Etisalat to see whether they had detailed instructions of how to set the router into bridge mode.

If finally you have to set both ISP router and Deco into wireless router mode(Double NAT like you mentioned in the first post), it is suggested to disable the WiFi on the Etisalat router and use Deco Mesh Wi-Fi only instead of having both enabled and set the same SSID.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 110

Replies: 1

Related Articles