Votes

Mesh System and IoT network

Votes

2024-06-24 19:34:08

I read there was a request for IoT network support over the range extenders.

i recently switched from an ASUS router to the BE19000 router in order to use all of my tp link range extenders adv a mesh system and take advantage of the IoT network functions, however it seems you don't support this'll, it was requested over a year ago and seems like something that should be included by default.

What's the point of an IoT network if it's not supported via the mesh network.

I feel cheated after spending a lot of money on a top of the range router only to have it hamstrung by other tp link components and cameras.

You really need to sort this out or advertise clearly that it doesn't work.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Mesh System and IoT network
2024-06-25 06:57:40

@knowledgeseeker 

Hi

Currently, OneMesh and EasyMesh are designed to only support the expansion of the main network and do not support the expansion of IoT and guest network. However, we have indeed received requests from other customers that they hope mesh can also be extended to IoT network and guest network, so our engineers are continuing to evaluate its feasibility.

Since you also have this demand, we hope you can provide more details for the reference:
1. Why do you want to connect smart home devices to the IoT network? Does it need to be used in isolation from the main network? If so, since mesh currently does not support the expansion of the IoT network, please try to connect the smart home device to the main network and set device isolation to check if it can meet the need. The device isolation configuration method is as follows:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3968/
2. What are your true needs for the mesh IoT network, if you are not attempting to isolate devices? We would be grateful if you could describe it in detail.

Options
2024-06-25 23:01:49

@Joseph-TP 

I'll answer your questions in the order asked.

1. The reason for connecting IoT devices to a dedicated IoT network is in order to keep them all on a separate network, but still to be able to communicate with them via the likes of Homeassistant.

My IoT network is almost entirely made up of Tapo devices which I went for because of their ease in setting up, however I also have other devices such as Shelly and Eufy and while it would be nice to stick owith one eco system such as your own one, the Homeassistant offer more flexibilty, if I place devices on the device isolation list then they are no longer accessible via Homeassistant.

2. The true needs for an IoT network are to be able to prevent the devices from trying to gain access to a 5G network as most don't support that and also control who they are chatting to outside the network.

I live on a rural property and I have a separate guest house which is out of range of any wifi router, this is connected via Cat6 cable and two Ubiquiti long range bridges as well as a TP-Link EAP, curently with the new BE19000 I can only see the main network and have lost the ability to use the IoT network and Guest network in this separate abode. This was working fine with the previous ASUS TUF router.

But the thing that irks me the most about these restrictions is your very own sales blurb says you can eliminate dead spots in a house using a mesh system, it also offers an IoT network by default and nowhere does it say this doesn't function over the mesh system, so what you say you are offering is not correct! If IoT devices need to be connected to the main wifi network then they are cluttering up the bandwidth, and there's no point in even offering a dedicatded IoT network in the first place if it can only be used within close proximity to the router. Given that most houses suffer from deadspots and some form of mesh system is the best option to eliminate these issues, one would thing that an separate guest and or IoT network would be carried over by default with the mesh, especially when the network devices have all in all cost in excess of >$2K to purchase.

You also don't offer a VLAN option other than the IPTV/VLAN which as far as I can tell isn't really a dedicated VLAN, so I feel like perhaps I have wasted my money and should ditch all the TP-Link gear in favour of Ubiquiti which seems to offer more options.

Options
2024-06-26 07:11:53 - last edited 2024-06-26 07:17:12

@knowledgeseeker 

Hi, Thanks very much for the reply.

In the early stages of incorporating EasyMesh into our products,  the IOT network feature hadn't been projected. As a result, many EasyMesh extenders do not currently support IoT networks, let alone the establishment of a unified IoT network through Mesh networks. However, as more features are developped, and new WiFi 7 products are released, we have identified limitations in the EasyMesh system. To address this, we are already planning to integrate more advanced features such as IoT/Guest networks and 6GHz support.

Currently, 6GHz backhaul has been integrated into EasyMesh Backhaul, but the addition of other features may require some more time.

It might not be something you are interested but I hope to let you know we already realize the issue and are currently working on optimizing the EasyMesh system. Currently, there hasn't been a better solution for your case yet but If you just purchased Archer BE800+RE605X, the Deco Mesh would be an excellent alternative, such as Deco X50 which is AX3000, a bit higher than RE605(AX1800). The Whole Deco Mesh system supports IOT and Guest networks.

Or if you still want a WiFi 7 Mesh, Deco BE85/BE65 are also great choices.

Deco Mesh System

Thank you and best regards.

Options
2024-06-26 08:01:16

@David-TP 

Thanks for the response.

Given that I've just dropped $1k on a router and probably close to that for the various extenders that I've purchased in order to use the Tp_link eco system what are the chances orf you recycling my current hoard of plastic and part exchanging them for the mentioned Deco kit? I imagine this will be close to zero.

Shame, more plastic polution in the World and less money in my pocket.

Options
2024-06-26 09:52:12

@knowledgeseeker 

Hi, Thanks for the fast reply. 

May I know where you purchased the Archer BE800 and RE605X?

It is recommended to return them directly to the retailer, as there are price differences and we also need to obtain permission from the local sales team first.

I checked over amazon.com.au:

1*Archer BE800+1*RE605X are about $850

While 3*Pack Deco X55 is about $349.

And 2*Pack Deco BE85 is about $1,749. 

2*Pack Deco BE65($749) seems to be a great combination.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-06-26 21:09:50

@David-TP 

The BE19000 was purcahsed from PB tech here in New Zealand and was on special at $1049 NZ$, unfortuantley the various RE605X and RE305's have been purchased over time from various retailers and as such ar unlikely to ba accepted back as returns, which leads me to having to shell out more cash for another lot of gear. There is a saying in finance that you don'ty throw good money after bad money, and so I don't think I will be spending more money on your systems at this time.

Further more the WiFi 7 items you listed are not available in NZ at this time.

Thanks for your responses though, it looks like I am stuck with this for now.

Perhaps when you get all your gear communicating with each other as advertised I will revisit the system.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 401

Replies: 6

Voters 2