Setting up two re300/330 devices with one ssid

2024-07-16 13:18:45 - last edited 2024-08-01 08:45:25
Model: RE300   RE330  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I am thinking to setup two re300/330 devices to extend my home network. I have three housemates and with numerous devices to contend with I am worried about congestion on just one network extender. I have been using powerline extenders but the electrics have been updated and the house is no longer on one loop. If both extenders can connect independently to the main network, would they both need different ssids, or can they have the same ssid for seamless connection switching? The Re300/330 devices are Onemesh compatible, but my router (BT smart hub 2) is not so I can't setup a full Onemesh system out of the box. Would the extenders link between each other without the router? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Setting up two re300/330 devices with one ssid-Solution
2024-07-16 18:01:57 - last edited 2024-08-01 08:45:25

@IainSwims 

Hi,

Regarding your first question.
If just the two range extenders have the same SSID, then this would be fine.
However, if the main router and the two range extenders all three have the same SSID, then the range extenders might connect to the other range extender, instead of the router.

TP-Link's "Access Point" line of products offers models that also support "Range Extender" mode and in addition the "Lock to AP" feature. This feature allows the user to fix the wireless connection to a Wi-Fi AP with a certain MAC address, instead of just the SSID.

Regarding your second question.
Range extenders alone can't form a OneMesh/EasyMesh network between them. A OneMesh/EasyMesh router is required.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Setting up two re300/330 devices with one ssid-Solution
2024-07-16 18:01:57 - last edited 2024-08-01 08:45:25

@IainSwims 

Hi,

Regarding your first question.
If just the two range extenders have the same SSID, then this would be fine.
However, if the main router and the two range extenders all three have the same SSID, then the range extenders might connect to the other range extender, instead of the router.

TP-Link's "Access Point" line of products offers models that also support "Range Extender" mode and in addition the "Lock to AP" feature. This feature allows the user to fix the wireless connection to a Wi-Fi AP with a certain MAC address, instead of just the SSID.

Regarding your second question.
Range extenders alone can't form a OneMesh/EasyMesh network between them. A OneMesh/EasyMesh router is required.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 169

Replies: 1

Related Articles