Pre-release Firmware for Archer C80/A8/C6/C86 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations

Pre-release Firmware for Archer C80/A8/C6/C86 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations

2024-07-22 08:44:50 - last edited a week ago
Model: Archer C80   Archer C6   Archer A8  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

This Article Applies to:

Archer C80 V2.20/V2.26

Archer A8 V2.20/V2.26

Archer C6 V4

Archer C86 V1

Overview

We hope to offer you a chance to experience the new features added to Archer C80, A8, C6, and C86 router via firmware update in advance, and also give us TP-Link the opportunity to fully test the firmware in your real network environment and scenarios before the official release. This update brings a host of new features and optimizations that enhance security, improve user experience, and expand functionality. In this post, we'll walk you through the major changes and what they mean for you.

New Features and Modifications:

L2TP/IPSec VPN Server Functionality

This update adds support for L2TP/IPSec VPN servers, allowing you to set up secure remote access to your home network. Whether you need to connect to your home devices while traveling or require a secure connection for remote work, this feature provides a robust solution.

IPv6 Firewall

Enhanced security with the addition of IPv6 firewall capabilities. This ensures that your network remains protected as more devices and services migrate to IPv6.

EasyMesh, Auto Update, and TP-Link ID in AP Mode

• EasyMesh: Simplify network expansion with EasyMesh technology, allowing seamless integration of multiple units.

• Auto Update: Automatic firmware updates ensure your router is always up-to-date with the latest features and security patches.

• TP-Link ID: Integrate your TP-Link cloud services for easy management and access.

Static IP and DNS Settings in AP Mode

Enhanced configuration options for static IP addresses and DNS settings, providing greater flexibility and control over your network setup.

Parental Control Improvements

The parental control feature now includes a content whitelist, giving you more precise control over the content accessible to your family members.

Access Control Enhancements

You can now manually enter MAC addresses in the access control settings, allowing for more precise network access management.

Client List Management

The client list has been optimized with new filtering rules, making it easier to manage and organize connected devices.

Other Modifications

• Support for WPA3-SAE encryption in WDS mode enhances the security of your wireless distribution system connections.

• Various improvements have been made to ensure more stable and reliable wireless connections.

Notes

This version of firmware cannot be degraded to the previous version.

Firmware Download

Before the Upgrade

(1) Please be sure you have read the Beta Test Agreement before upgrading the Pre-release firmware!

(2) For the sake of insurance, it's always recommended to save a copy of the router Backup Config file before upgrading or downgrading.

(3) You may follow the guide to upgrade the firmware of your router. How to Upgrade the Firmware on the TP-Link Wi-Fi Routers.

Direct Firmware Download Link

Archer C80_V2.20/V2.26_1.14.0 Build 240617 (Pre-Release Version)

Archer A8 V2.20/V2.26_1.14.0 Build 240617 (Pre-Release Version)

Archer C6 V4_1.14.0 Build 240617 (Pre-Release Version)

Archer C86 V1_1.14.0 Build 240617 (Pre-Release Version)

Additional Information

As always, we value your feedback. If somehow you encounter an issue during or after the router firmware upgrade, it's suggested to comment below with the following info. Your input helps us continue to improve and provide the best possible products and support.

• Model, hardware version, and firmware version of your router.
  • Detailed issue description, and provide more information on the specific conditions that seem to trigger the problem.

Update Log

Jul 22th, 2024:

Release of the post

Related Articles

EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
45 Reply
Re:Pre-release Firmware for Archer C80/A8/C6/C86 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations
2024-07-23 02:38:13

@Kevin_Z 
well...looks not different from the previously beta 1.13
would be great if you guys:
- implement more/better VPN option.
- where is the DoT connection?
- why not DoH/DoT with a custom dns of OUR CHOICE?
- system time still broken. i set to manual or use the current device but is reversed to internet after sometime or after router restart.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT........WHY THE TPLINK STILL SETTING THE ROUTER TO KEEP CONTACTING THE A.ROOTSERVER AT EACH ~60SEC?

"is not important" they said XD

"don't worry! is not important or something against your privacy.IF IS NOT....SO WHY TPLINK INSIST ON IT? AND WHY DON'T LET US TO DISABLE?

Options
Re:Pre-release Firmware for Archer C80/A8/C6/C86 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations
2024-07-23 05:47:25

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, am facing below issue in C80 router Firmware V1.13.2 HW V2.20.

I have old DLink 615T1 router and configured in repeater mode to access internet from main router as C80.  Works good till I switch off my dlink router...but when I switch off DLink router and switch on next day it will connect to C80 but internet will not be shared. I have to reconfigure again DLink router to get internet.Need your support.

I was using same configuration with ZTE router and never faced any issue like this.

Thanks

Dhage

Options
2024-07-23 06:58:03

Dhage wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, am facing below issue in C80 router Firmware V1.13.2 HW V2.20.

I have old DLink 615T1 router and configured in repeater mode to access internet from main router as C80.  Works good till I switch off my dlink router...but when I switch off DLink router and switch on next day it will connect to C80 but internet will not be shared. I have to reconfigure again DLink router to get internet.Need your support.

I was using same configuration with ZTE router and never faced any issue like this.

Thanks

Dhage

@Dhage Thanks for asking in the community.

This thread will be only open for feedback of the new 1.14.0 version. If you're reporting an issue with the previous 1.13.2 version, please open a new thread and we may discuss it there.

Alternatively, you can try to upgrade to this 1.14.0 version to check if your D-LINK router will connect stably to the C80.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-07-23 07:58:30 - last edited 2024-07-23 07:59:06

@itachimetal hey there! 

I remember someone discussing this already and as far as I remember the a.root-servers.net is being pinged by the router to check whether there's an internet connection or not.

Other manufacturers are also using this "method" for the same reason (maybe for some other domain names), but some of them actually allow users to disable the "Internet Checker" function and in this case to check if there's an internet connection router will send ARP requests to the router's WAN default gateway. 

If you found my post helpful or useful, please upvote it by clicking on the corresponding button under my post.
Options
2024-07-23 10:14:17

@itachimetal Thank you very much for your feedback.

itachimetal wrote

@Kevin_Z 
well...looks not different from the previously beta 1.13
would be great if you guys:
- implement more/better VPN option.
- where is the DoT connection?
- why not DoH/DoT with a custom dns of OUR CHOICE?

You could be correct. These features may not be improved or optimized on the 1.14 version. But we will keep optimizing all these features, especially the customized DNS servers for DoH.

itachimetal wrote
- system time still broken. i set to manual or use the current device but is reversed to internet after sometime or after router restart.

I remember others reported similar issues before in the community, but I'm not sure if this has been confirmed to be an issue or if it's the firmware design to behave like that. I will report to the engineering team again.

itachimetal wrote
NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT........WHY THE TPLINK STILL SETTING THE ROUTER TO KEEP CONTACTING THE A.ROOTSERVER AT EACH ~60SEC?

"is not important" they said XD

"don't worry! is not important or something against your privacy.IF IS NOT....SO WHY TPLINK INSIST ON IT? AND WHY DON'T LET US TO DISABLE?

endless_despair has told you the truth. But I'm not sure neither if other manufacturers allow users to disable the "Internet Checker" function. I will report this to the development for consideration.

Options
2024-07-25 06:00:11
Hi Kevin, Thanks for your support...I have updated firmware to 1.14.0 and kept for observation... till 48hrs no disconnections & stable, but faced same issue again...this time, instead of re configuring D Link router i have rebooted the TP-Link C80...after restart connection restored and working fine. any troubleshooting to be done to find permanent solution for this.
Options
2024-07-26 05:27:08

@Dhage 

Hi Kelvin further to earlier mail...DHCP server in C80 is getting crashed/stop for fraction of sec/min...Since no DHCP server on network pc/clients connected to repeater mode dlink router are getting IP6 settings. because of this internet connection is disconnected to IP6 devices. once restart of Dlink Router and devices connected to them they are working fine and attaining IP4 settings please update if anything am missing

IP6 is disabled in C80 and no option to disable IP6 in Dlink615T1. 

Thanks

Options
2024-07-26 14:25:15

@Kevin_Z 

Please add open vpn function in archer c6 v4

Options
2024-07-29 09:01:11
Please add vpn support on Archer c64 firmware
Options
2024-07-30 19:36:31

@Kevin_Z 

Hello
it's nice to have VPN as a feature.
unfortunately Android 12/13 does not support L2TP/IPSec connections anymore
but it would be great adding IKEv2 connections

Options