X50 Deco's no internet after firmware 1.5.5 update

2024-08-14 21:30:49 - last edited 2024-08-16 02:06:19
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

My three x50 Deco's were working fine until last night when the firmware auto-updated to v1.5.5.

Now, there is no internet connectivity through the Decos, either via Wi-Fi or wired. 

All three Decos are glowing green, and the app tells me, 'Everything looks good.' They show they are connected to the Internet (with an assigned dynamic IP from my ISP), but none of the devices connected to them can access the Internet. For example, my iPhone connected by Wi-Fi says, 'Connected, but no Internet'. 

My ISP modem is online and working fine. If I connect a laptop to it directly, the internet works perfectly.

I have unplugged the Decos and restarted them several times. After restart, there is a brief moment of internet connection for devices, but then it stops.

My configuration is that the ISP modem and main Deco are in the garage. The two other Decos are elsewhere in the house and connected to the main Deco by ethernet cable.

My next step would be to do a factory reset on the Decos, as I read another similar post where that was the solution. However, I would like to avoid that, as I don't want to have to re-program/setup the whole system again.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:X50 Deco's no internet after firmware 1.5.5 update-Solution
2024-08-15 16:58:59 - last edited 2024-08-16 02:06:19

@David-TP 

Thank you. I have already resolved the issue by doing a factory reset on all three Decos. This means I had to re-configure all the settings and devices, but it's now working correctly. I have turned off auto-update on the Decos, so this won't happen again.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:X50 Deco's no internet after firmware 1.5.5 update
2024-08-15 06:09:56

@bc2planker 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

May I know the original firmware version of your Deco before updating to 1.5.5?

May I know who is your internet service provider?

Here are some suggestions for your advice:

1. Power restart the ISP modem once.

2. When the ISP model is back online, please refer to this link to change the IPV4 DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4;

How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

3. Please refer to this link to set one of the satellite Decos as the new main Deco:

How to replace the main Deco with another Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:X50 Deco's no internet after firmware 1.5.5 update-Solution
2024-08-15 16:58:59 - last edited 2024-08-16 02:06:19

@David-TP 

Thank you. I have already resolved the issue by doing a factory reset on all three Decos. This means I had to re-configure all the settings and devices, but it's now working correctly. I have turned off auto-update on the Decos, so this won't happen again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-22 20:41:54

@bc2planker 

I have a mesh home network consisting of 4 Deco X55's which ! auto updated last night and I immediately had trouble with internet speeds. Tried rebooting them all through the app as well as hard reboots by disconnecting power to no avail. I have another backup router for another area of the house which was working fine,so I knew my ISP service was fine.

I Googled the issues and saw a number of people in same boat who did a factory reset of the all of their Deco satellites and said it fixed the problem. I didnt want to do that and saw one thing about making changes in the QoS settings and found that the "Total Bandwidth" was set to 0.1 mbps down and 0.1 mbps up, which is supposed to be total available bandwidth from your ISP. I simply changed both down and up to 1000 and it started working. 

Looks like the firmware update reset the QOS seetings to 0.1Mbps and changing this to 1000 fixed the issue for sure. 

r/TpLink - Firmware update 1.5.5 Update Issue Resolved

Options
2024-08-22 21:37:45

@kitofer 

Thank you! I wish I had found that advice before I did the factory reset, although I believe I looked at QoS settings as I was troubleshooting, and it was disabled (I don't use it).

Options
3 weeks ago
Same here! TpLink, please send a fix soon. You should consider allowing downgrading firmware at least :(
Options
3 weeks ago

@Phedericvs I had nothing but problems with my X55 update.  The remote units would be green but not have internet access, or would show connected after rebooting everything for a short time but Internet was only on the wired connections.  Wifi connections would just hang.   Occasionally after many tries I'd see a wireless node to master connection but when I'd connect an ethernet cable the light stayed green but nothing would work to get it back, including factory resets.   Also at random the nodes would disconnect and not reconnect.  

I have not yet had a firmware update that didn't take hours to resolve all the problems it introduces.  Had I listened to my gut instinct a year ago after the first update, I would've just sent them back to Amazon for a refund.  I stupidly thought it was just an anomoly.

All that aside, Tonight's debacle was seemingly fixed by going back the previous firmware.  At least the Deco site has them available.  Interestingly enough, the problem I wanted to resolve with the original firmware update was to fix the connected client display.  After reverting only the master back to the previous version, all the clients appear now and performance actually seems to be a bit better.   Not worth the four hours of hassle this took though, but maybe this will help save someone else so much wasted time.

TP-Link/Deco if you're reading this, other than doing real pre-release testing with real users, how about also giving a backup/restore option so we don't have to re-enter all the settings and remap the address reservations & IPs?  The collective time wasted by all the users with firmware update issues amounts to at least 10's of thousands of hours.

Options