TP-Link Tapo C320WS not possible to connect to the camera from iOS app

3 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

I just ordered a few Tapo cameras from Amazon and tried to set them up. I find that once I block the camara to access Internet, my Tapo app no longer can connect to the camera and mark it offline. My NVR can however access the ONVIF and RTSP stream without problem. 

I think it might be due to the cameras are on a different subnet, however there is no firewall blocking access from the primary network to the camera network (though not the other way around). The cross subnet traffic also works if I choose to stream RSTP directly to my phone. I have no idea how TP-Link who is specilaised in networking not allow the LAN access from different subnets?

Anyways I'd like some help here if not possible I'm going to return all tapo cameras.   

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link Tapo C320WS not possible to connect to the camera from iOS app
3 weeks ago

@maisun 

Hi,
In this case, it may be the Tapo app on the phone trying to manage the camera via the cloud server so the camera shows offline on the Tapo app.
You can try to disable the mobile data on your phone, connect your phone to the same Wi-Fi as the camera, force close the Tapo app, reopen it, and then check if you can stream the camera on the Tapo app.
If not, block the internet on the router for the phone, and when it's able to stream the camera, unblock the internet on the router for a try.
Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee 

Hi thanks for your reply! I think the problem is VLANs, my cameras are running on a different VLAN than my iPhone.

And looks like TP-Link uses UDP broadcast to communicate between the app and camera, those broadcast cannot go across vlans unfortuantely..

It would be nice to allow user to specify camera local ip address and create TCP connection directly to the camera. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@maisun 

Hi,
I have escalated the case to the tech team, and they will contact you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 132

Replies: 3

Related Articles