Smart switch trigger and light sensor

Saturday - last edited Yesterday
Model: Tapo S220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi!

I'm thinking of pairing two S210/220 switches to make a room with two separate lighting circuits work together to light as one unit. 

Presumably I could use the trigger of switching on the light to trigger the other light switch to switch on? 

If this was a local routine with a good connection, what is the likely latency? 

Also, I was going to pair this with a movement sensor, but I'd only want the lights to come on in the dark obviously... How could I do this? 

Thoughts were either pairing with a lux sensor or time based triggers... Tried searching on this but it's not clear what's possible. On the tapo app playing with two old smart plugs I can only seem to create really simple routines - is there a way of writing more detailed routines manually?

Thanks for any advice!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart switch trigger and light sensor-Solution
Sunday - last edited Yesterday

@Jacko99 

The interaction between smart devices can be achieved by creating automation. You can refer to this guide for specific functionalities that can be implemented. How to create Smart Action (Automation or Shortcut) on Tapo app

Automations primarily operate through the cloud, which may introduce delays depending on the network and usage environment. The actual performance will vary based on the specific conditions.

Additionally, the Tapo H100 hub supports local smart features, allowing qualifying automations to be managed locally. This means they can continue to operate within the local network, the local smart automation should has lower latency compared to purely cloud-based automation. What is Local Smart Action?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Smart switch trigger and light sensor-Solution
Sunday - last edited Yesterday

@Jacko99 

The interaction between smart devices can be achieved by creating automation. You can refer to this guide for specific functionalities that can be implemented. How to create Smart Action (Automation or Shortcut) on Tapo app

Automations primarily operate through the cloud, which may introduce delays depending on the network and usage environment. The actual performance will vary based on the specific conditions.

Additionally, the Tapo H100 hub supports local smart features, allowing qualifying automations to be managed locally. This means they can continue to operate within the local network, the local smart automation should has lower latency compared to purely cloud-based automation. What is Local Smart Action?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Smart switch trigger and light sensor
Yesterday

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks, that's helpful. 

I can't see from that page how it would be possible to have a time of day condition for a trigger. For example, for a light; 

Trigger- motion sensor (motion detected) 

Condition - between sunset and sunrise (or below a certain light level)

Action - turn on smart switch

Is that possible? Because both the app and that page suggest to me it's not. 

If so, what does anyone else do for motion controlled lights? Surely in most use cases only need to be triggered when not light? 

Thanks!

Rob

Options
Yesterday

Another thought (I couldn't see anything in this on the knowledge base)

Presumably the TP link app creates a rule which is then uploaded to the hub.

Can you custom write these eg in a text editor? Is there any more flexibility beyond using the app? 

If not, presumably the way forward is to have a cloud routine which is triggered by an external app/system?

Anyone any experience with this?

Options
Yesterday

@Jacko99 

You can set an effective time for the automation. For the scene that controls the lights by sensor detection, you just need to create  Trigger and Action in the automation.

Tapo automation can only be managed through the Tapo app and does not support editing in any other way. If your Tapo account is linked to some supported third-party platforms such as Alexa or Google Home, you can realize more possibilities through these third-party platforms, such as linking Tapo and other brands of smart devices through Google Routine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 81

Replies: 4

Related Articles