Left port where antenna is attached is not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-10 20:27:08
Region : India

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 1.0.5

ISP :

I have found that left port of my newly bought TP-Link TD-W8968 is not working. Both the antenna are working in right port but not in left port. When I remove left antenna there is no change in signal strength but when i remove right antenna signal strength suddenly drops to zero. I contacted TP- Link India support. They say left antenna is only for representation. Any one who is using same model check that if their left port is working or not.
Options
11 Reply
Re:Left port where antenna is attached is not working
2015-03-11 17:15:24
No, both left and right antennas are functioning. I 100% sure because I'd confirm similar questions before from the global support.

Now I answer your query. TP-Link TD-W8968 as a 300Mbps Wi-Fi router is definitely using two antennas synchronously in order to apply MIMO. However only one antenna will send out the beacon frames which contains the basic information of the Wi-Fi.

In your case it is the right antenna that sends out the beacon frame. The left one doesn't send any beacons so that the Wi-Fi SSID disappeared once you dis-attached the right one.

Beacon frame is used to show the Wi-Fi so that we can see the Wi-Fi. But not seeing the WI-Fi does not mean the antenna is not functioning.
Options
2015-03-11 17:59:56
TP-Link India support asked me for replacement with V1 version. They say in V1 version both the antennas works and in V3 version it is for representation. Please tell me how to check if left port is working or not. If I remove left antenna there is no change in signal strength, neither the performance of the router decreases.

I am worried about the left antenna because the signal strength of router with two 5dbi antennas is very less. I have TP LINK 8901N 150 Mbps which has more signal strength and covers wider area than TD8968.
Thanks
Options
2015-03-18 00:07:12

irohit wrote

TP-Link India support asked me for replacement with V1 version. They say in V1 version both the antennas works and in V3 version it is for representation. Please tell me how to check if left port is working or not. If I remove left antenna there is no change in signal strength, neither the performance of the router decreases.

I am worried about the left antenna because the signal strength of router with two 5dbi antennas is very less. I have TP LINK 8901N 150 Mbps which has more signal strength and covers wider area than TD8968.
Thanks

You are right, Only the right side WIFi antenna port is working. The other one is dummy.(I don't know is it a feature or bug :confused:)
Options
2015-03-26 09:44:17

Tobacco wrote

No, both left and right antennas are functioning. I 100% sure because I'd confirm similar questions before from the global support.

Now I answer your query. TP-Link TD-W8968 as a 300Mbps Wi-Fi router is definitely using two antennas synchronously in order to apply MIMO. However only one antenna will send out the beacon frames which contains the basic information of the Wi-Fi.

In your case it is the right antenna that sends out the beacon frame. The left one doesn't send any beacons so that the Wi-Fi SSID disappeared once you dis-attached the right one.

Beacon frame is used to show the Wi-Fi so that we can see the Wi-Fi. But not seeing the WI-Fi does not mean the antenna is not functioning.

Hi, man. As I said, both antennas are working. If you don't believe, you can do a test.

Unattached the antenna which you think is working. Then create a profile to connect to the WiFi of 8968 manually, following these two FAQ.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-280.html
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-316.html

It will still connected because the wifi is still here, it just doesn't show up its name.
Options
w8968 v3 - i am also having the same issue, Left antenna is not working.
2015-06-07 13:00:24
@ tplink support, I just bought two days before,

Left antenna is not working. If i remove the right antenna, then my WIFI is dead, Is this a BUG, is this fixable?
if its a showcase, why its advertised as 2x5dbi?
i dont think its 5dbi, seems its 3dbi? Modem is one corner of the hall. after 10 meter's my dining room will get only 2 point on my mobile. Some times 1. if i hold the phone in hand it shows 3. if i put it on floor it gets to 2. i dono why?

What is the difference between v3 and v4?

Please explain this ASAP?
Options
2015-06-08 10:52:14
It is not a bug. Share the reply got from TP-LINK support team: :)
The antennas of TD-W8968 are designed with main antenna and affiliated antenna.
The affiliated antenna can barely work without the main antenna, that is to say, remove the main antenna may cause bad effect to the wireless signals strength and wireless speed which equal to all of the antennas don’t work anymore.
However, the wireless performance will not decrease a lot when the affiliated antenna is removed in the short distance.
Options
2015-06-08 14:54:37

Vivian wrote

It is not a bug. Share the reply got from TP-LINK support team: :)
The antennas of TD-W8968 are designed with main antenna and affiliated antenna.
The affiliated antenna can barely work without the main antenna, that is to say, remove the main antenna may cause bad effect to the wireless signals strength and wireless speed which equal to all of the antennas don’t work anymore.
However, the wireless performance will not decrease a lot when the affiliated antenna is removed in the short distance.

Thanks for your reply. Could you please be specific about left/right antenna. Unable to get your point.
If affiliated antenna is working, how to test this, ( Tobacco,comments is just steps for hidden SSID)
If i remove left antenna wifi is working fine with RIGHT SIDE ANTENNA. Seems the left antenna is not needed. No Difference in performance or speed.
If i remove the right side antenna, No wifi signal. Signal drops to zero, Seems wifi will not function without right side antenna,

Thanks
Ezhil A
Options
2020-10-02 16:04:04
Same thing in case of mine. Only right antenna is functioning in MR400. Tplink should reply with specific reason or conclusion so that we can be satisfied @tplink
Options
2021-06-15 05:23:46

@Tobacco  i was also facing the same issue, left port was not working, it shows as 'connected without internet'... I bought the router to attach with an external lpda antenna...which port should I use to connect with external antenna...?

Options
2021-06-17 06:09:17

@Prasoon992 Hello,

Normally it is not recommended changing the original antennas of tp-link devices, as replacing the original antennas may not improve the performance of your device and performance with third party antennas can not be guaranteed

If you just replace one antenna not all the antennas on tp-link device it may decrease the wireless performance a lot, and here is a FAQ that helps explain:

Why my Wi-Fi performance is not improved after changing antennas

If you have to replace the antennas, please pay attention to the things mentioned here :

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/456/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1984

Replies: 11

Related Articles