VR900 DHCP/VLAN Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VR900 DHCP/VLAN Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VR900 DHCP/VLAN Issue
VR900 DHCP/VLAN Issue
2016-05-02 01:56:02
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I have discovered a potential problem with this router. I have two Wifi networks in my house - one provided by the VR900 and one provided by a powerline plug in unit.They both are connected on the same network at a Dell switch. I also have a seperate FreeBSD server acting, amongst other things, as the DHCP server for the whole network. Now, whenever my phone drops a connection to the VR900 wifi for some reason, it connects the the second wifi network, and continues working (just to clarify, they generally cover different parts of the house, but there is a large overlap).. The problem is getting my phone to reconnect to the VR900 wifi. It fails all the time because it does not get an IP address from the server. I've noticed that if I reboot the VR900, then it works and connects fine. I have since found that by switching off the "VLAN" option under "Interface Grouping", suddenly causes the problem to disappear! Rebooting the phone makes no difference, btw. My thinking is that there seems to be a problem for a network device to switch from a wired connection (as seen by the router) to a wireless one with the same MAC address when VLAN is switched on. Perhaps the routing tables are not being updated properly.

So, my question is, is this normal behaviour? If so, I would be grateful for an explanation. If not, it's a bug for TP-Link to sort out..

VR900 Software version: Firmware Version:0.9.1 1.4 v004c.0 Build 160316 Rel.44905n

Cheers,
flapjack
Options
1 Reply
Re:VR900 DHCP/VLAN Issue
2020-05-08 15:52:23

@flapjack 

Having the exact issue.

When creating groupinginterface for 2.4ghz 

Its stops being accessible to any device after awhile, everything else works as should. 

Even created a seperate interface group for 5ghz and 5ghz doesnt have issues with that.

Starting to feel its a bug in the firmware or hardware.

By any chance did you manage to understand the root cause?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 532

Replies: 1

Related Articles