Wifi cloning with AV500 problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-12 14:05:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I tried touse an AV500 to extend my Wifi.

At first I tried to use both the main device (the one you connect to the wifi router) and the extender. It worked but then I have 2 wifi signals- one the original home Wifi and the other is TP-LINK (which has its own password). I didn't like this set up because it messed with some of my home devices (my laptop could no longer detect the original Wifi signal after connecting to TP-LINK, and my IPTV system does not stream continuously).

So I decided to use the cloning method. I did what the instructions say, press the WPS button on the router, etc- and the wifi LED on the extender stabilizes on fast blinking.
However now I still have the TP-LINK signal and when I connect to it it does not have internet connectivity.

(1) Is this how Wifi cloning works? That is, you will get 2 signals- the original home Wifi signal and the TP-LINK one.
(2) if yes above, why can't I connect to the internet via TP-LINK?
(3) if no in (1), why do I still get the TP-LINK signal? Should I only get the original home signal but stronger in places where the extender is plugged in?

I'm sorry about this noob questions but really, there is nothing on the 1 sheet of instruction manual that describe what we would expect to see in our devices' wifi settings (laptop, etc)
Options
1 Reply
Re:Wifi cloning with AV500 problem
2017-09-18 16:37:46
You can install either tpPLC or PowerlineScan utility on the PC, connect the extender to the PC via cable, then login to the web Ui of the extender to manaully change the SSID and password to be the same as your router's. http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WPA4220.html#Utility
Some vedios here may help http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WPA8630P-KIT.html
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3001

Replies: 1

Related Articles