How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2021-12-23 02:35:20

@Vinght17 

Hi, it Is ok to add Deco X20 as the main unit and create Ethernet backhaul with Deco E4.

Since you used E4 before, I suppose you know E4 is on the fast Ethernet port(up to 100m/s) so with Ethernet activated, the devices connected to E4 will be limited to 100m/s.

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-01-01 16:44:17 - last edited 2022-01-02 10:45:07

@TP-Link Deco 

Hi, happy new year everyone.   I purchased some M9 Deco's recently and overall I'm happy with them.  Wireless is working fine out of both Deco and Deco 2 but I cannot get the wired Ethernet connection up at all.  My setup is:

Virgin Media (modem mode)

:

DECO 1 (wired Ethernet) -> TP-LINK TL-SG108 8 Port Metal Gigabit Ethernet Switch -> local devices, TV, TIVO, Media Player

DECO 1 (wireless) ->  Devices, mobiles, etc                                    

DECO 1 (wireless) -> DECO 2 -> Devices, mobiles, etc

I tried connecting my TV direct to the DECO 1 rather than through the switch and it worked ok so it suggests the issue is with the switch.  However as this is a TP Link switch I assume it should work ok.  Interestingly my TV has a pop up that the wired connection is in place but it hangs on connecting.  The TIVO has also appeared as a wired connection on the DECO app but has since gone offline.  In fact all Ethernet devices are listed on the app.  It makes me think there might be a config issue?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Options
2022-01-04 06:46:36

@Jacksoninho

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback and I have also got your email.

For your case, could you please refer to the email and help me get the following pictures:

•  A picture of Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPTV/VLAN
  •  A screenshot of the device settings on one of the Ethernet devices

Thank you and Wait for your reply.

Options
2022-01-12 08:26:37 - last edited 2022-01-12 13:25:47

@TP-Link Deco 

I have bought 3 Deco S4 units, all of them are connected via ethernet cables. I am using access point mode because I don't want a deco unit in my fuse box where the signal comes in (wifi is terrible there).

The situation is as follows:

---> Switch 1 ---> Deco Main Unit

Router

---> Switch 2 ---> Deco Satellite Unit 1

---->Deco Satellite Unit 2

Ethernet backhaul works between the satellite units (satellite unit 1 getting ethernet backhaul from satellite unit 2 or vice versa). However, it is not possible to have an ethernet backhaul between my main unit and the first satellite unit (it can be either one of them, depending which get powered on first). It always shows that one of them gets signal from the main unit via WiFi.

Next to a unit with ethernet backhaul I download and upload with 120 mbit/s (maximum my provider provides) and when it uses wireless signal it drops back to 30 mbit/s. 

How can I get this to work? Thanks in advance!

Options
2022-01-12 15:38:59 - last edited 2022-01-12 20:22:44

TSquares wrote

@TP-Link Deco 

I have bought 3 Deco S4 units, all of them are connected via ethernet cables. I am using access point mode because I don't want a deco unit in my fuse box where the signal comes in (wifi is terrible there).

The situation is as follows:

Router

---> Switch 2 ---> Deco Satellite Unit 1

Ethernet backhaul works between the satellite units (satellite unit 1 getting ethernet backhaul from satellite unit 2 or vice versa). However, it is not possible to have an ethernet backhaul between my main unit and the first satellite unit (it can be either one of them, depending which get powered on first). It always shows that one of them gets signal from the main unit via WiFi.

Next to a unit with ethernet backhaul I download and upload with 120 mbit/s (maximum my provider provides) and when it uses wireless signal it drops back to 30 mbit/s. 

How can I get this to work? Thanks in advance!

@TSquares 

I am not TP-Link, but if you don't mind, I think I'll be able to help.

From what you described you either have Switch 1 or Router incompatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. How to test that theory:

1. Bring all three Deco units to where Router is, and wire them directly to Router Ethernet ports. Start with Main Deco, power it on, wait till its LED is white solid, then turn on Satellite Deco. If you have Ethernet backhaul reported on both Satellite Deco in that setup, it is great news: your router is compatible.

2. Wire all three Deco to Switch 2, following same process as in step 1. Most likely than not, you'll see both Satellite reporting Ethernet backhaul. If they do, Switch 2 is compatible.

3. Repeat step 2 but with Switch 1, wire all Deco to it. Same process. Most likely than not, if in step 1 router was compatible, you won't see Ethernet backhaul on Satellite Deco in that setup. If you don't, you'll need to replace Swtich 1 with different one, the one that is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul.

---------------------------------

What if it is an incompatible router?

If both switches you have are of the same brand and model, that hints strongly at incompatible router, which is rarity but happens. Step 1 will help to confim it, steps 2-3 will still verify your switches compatibility. If problem is with the router, but switches 1 and 2 are compatible, the workaround would be to add new compatible switch between router and existent switches.

Router  ---> Switch 3  ---> Switch 1 ---> Deco Main Unit

|

|--------> Switch 2 ---> Deco Satellite Unit 1

|--------->Deco Satellite Unit 2

Also, before spending money on a third swtich, you can test my recommendation with the following setup using two switches you already have:

Router  ---> Switch 1 ---> Deco Main Unit

|

|--------> Switch 2 ---> Deco Satellite Unit 1

|--------->Deco Satellite Unit 2

Bring Switch 1 and Deco Main Unit to where router is, wire Switch 1 to router, Main Deco to Switch 1, Ethernet cable that goes to Switch 2 - to Switch 1, and see if both Satellies report Ethernet backhaul. If they do, you can now buy Switch 3 with confidence.

---------------

There is also one somewhat unlikely possibility, but once that happened to someone I helped: if your Switch 2 is in fact (accidentally) disconnected from the Router, what you have describes that exactly.

Router

-X-> Switch 2 ---> Deco Satellite Unit 1

This will be tested by step 2, because with disconnected switch Main Deco won't be able to connect to the Internet and will alert you of it.

Also, if you have anything else other than Deco wired to Switch 2 and that wired device has Internet access, ignore this scenario.  scratching that, as this is not true when Satellite Deco are connected to that switch and can pass Internet traffic through Main Deco by using WiFi backhaul. 

Options
2022-01-12 18:17:46 - last edited 2022-01-12 18:18:18

Hi @Alexandre. 

Wow, that is what I call comprehensive and helpful advice.

I happened to have another switch I could use to test, so that made it a lot easier to test your hypothesis.

Although I expected the problem to be the router, you were right...It was switch 1 causing the problems! Switch 1 was a netgear switch, if anyone is interested. 

After switching the switch (pun intended), both satellite units now have ethernet backhaul!

Thanks for your great help! 

Options
2022-01-15 04:49:14
Does this also work on M9 plus? (PC magazine says it doesn't... https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems)
Options
2022-01-16 01:31:02

@yoyolele 

Every Satellite Deco that has Ethernet port can use it for Ethernet backhaul.

Options
2022-01-21 11:36:18

@TP-Link Deco 

I had a messaging conversation with someone at TP-LINK who connected remotely and solved the issue.  There was fair bit of back and forth but we resolved the issue and I'm really happy.

Credit where's it's due, thanks to the support engineer at TP-Link for fixing this issue

I've since also hooked up the main DECO to DECO 2 by Ethernet via a TP-Link powerline and this worked with issue.  I'm really pleased with the setup I've got now and it seems stable and quick with expected speeds.

My setup is now.  

-DECO 1 (wired Ethernet) -> TP-LINK TL-SG108 8 Port Metal Gigabit Ethernet Switch (wired Ethernet) -> local devices, TV, TIVO, Media Player

-DECO 1 (wireless) ->  Devices, mobiles, etc                                    

-DECO 1 (wired Ethernet) -> TP-LINK TL-SG108 8 Port Metal Gigabit Ethernet Switch (wired Ethernet) -> TPLink Powerline 1 -> TPLink Powerline 2 (wired Ethernet) -> DECO 2 (wireless) -> Devices, mobiles, etc

Options
2022-01-30 23:29:04

@TP-Link Deco I have a star configuration that will drop every time I connect/disconnect a new ethernet connected device.

My configuration is as follows:

Modem (pass thru) -> Main Deco X60 -> TP Link Switch -> Other ethernet ports around the house

-> Deck X60 #2 connected by ethernet

-> Switch -> Deco X60 #3 and #4 connected by ethernet backhaul

The internet is up and the decos all connect wirelessly but the ethernet backhaul will drop whenever I add a LAN device to the network e.g. turn on a desktop or unplug a laptop. My firmwire is all up to date. IPTV is disabled. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Options
Related Articles