How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2020-12-10 18:48:38

@Kiyamoh 

Doing this way will not work unless:

1) Reset all deco m5

2) Chose one of them and start the configuration process connecting it to your Huawei Router. This one will be the main Deco

3) Add other decos by doing the steps WITHOUT connecting them via cable (close to the main deco wifi range)

4) After adding all decos, go to tplink app and advanced options and then "Operating Mode""

5) Change to Access point

6) After reboot connect all devices in the same configuration you posted.

7) Let us know if that works for you

Options
2020-12-14 14:58:20 - last edited 2020-12-14 15:08:58

@TP-Link Deco 

I'm trying to setup Ethernet Backhaul feature with 2 x Deco M4R in AP mode (The 1st port of each Deco is connected to a LAN port on the router):

Should they work with such a connection? I'm using a D-Link DIR-825/ACF and... looks like there is issue described in FAQ Q4
SHOULD installing the TP-Link switch AFTER the router help?

If yes, is there a tp-link switch supporting IEEE 1905.1?

Options
2020-12-15 18:04:25
Your second drawing is exactly how I run my Deco's in AP mode ... with the caveat to remember that the 'modem' is actually often a modem (Internet gateway), a firewall, and a DHCP router. If you have separate devices for those 3 functions, they should all be before the switch.
Options
2020-12-15 19:21:13

@Dan_C. 

Yes, I just forgot to replace "modem" with "router" in the second picture :) As a router - D-Link DIR-825ACF

WITHOUT a switch (when access points are connected directly to dlink) - I have problems.
I will test with a NOT Dlink switch between the router and access points.

Options
2021-01-10 06:05:24

@TP-Link Deco 

thank you for sharing such good information with us it's very helpful to me .keep sharing this type of information.

<a href="https://poetriapot.blogspot.com/2021/01/kite-festival-poems.html"> Potria Pot !</a>

Options
2021-02-04 15:14:22

TP-Link Deco wrote

Q6: Can I set up Ethernet Backhaul through a powerline connection?

That's okay if the powerline connection doesn't block any data flow.

Typical topology is, modem ---- main Deco ---- Powerline unit~~~Powerline unit ---- slave Deco

Is this kind of setup possible? Does it block Deco P9 powerline backhaul to work properly?

modem ---- Powerline unit~~~Powerline unit --- main Deco ---- slave Deco

Options
2021-02-05 00:58:30

@tok 

Hi, it would not block the powerline backhaul between Deco P9 units.

But since  I did not notice any router between modem and powerline adapters, so did you just use the powerline adapter to extend the modem connection to the main Deco?

--if yes,  could you please replace the Deco with a laptop to make sure the internet service would reach the computer since normally the powerline adapters would be required to connect behind a router;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-02-05 08:32:34

@TP-Link 

Thank you for your reply. My modem is Sagemcom F-3686AC WiFi cablemodel with 4 Gbit/s LAN Ethernet ports (https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/48697/jtgjx/Sagemcom-F-3686AC-WiFi-kaapelimodeemi-DNA-Valokuitu-Plus). Is it a router too? I'm not so familiar with the names of datacomm devices.

Yes, the idea is just to extend the modem connection to the main Deco using powerline adapters (model TP-PA7020). The modem is located in a home office little away from other rooms but in the same power network. Connection modem -- powerline(TP-PA7020) -- powerline(TP-PA7020) -- laptop is tested and works.

In my case, should I set Decos to Access Point mode?

Options
2021-02-27 16:47:58

@TP-Link Deco

Can I connect my modem to the main deco unit, then wireless connection to a slave deco unit, then connect a PC via ethernet cable to that slave?

My PC doesn't have a wireless card or anything so will need to be wired to the slave deco.

Options
2021-02-27 18:58:24
Yes, I can confirm it worked for me. (Deco P9)
Options
Related Articles