Need help setting up a Deco X55 pro mesh to work with my Verizon 5G home internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need help setting up a Deco X55 pro mesh to work with my Verizon 5G home internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-15 16:49:58
Model: Deco X55 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20230725 Rel. 63461

Hello,

I purchased a single Deco X55 pro mesh unit for better internet coverage in my home. My new internet provider is Verizon and they sent an ASK-NCQ1338 5G home gateway/router.  I am getting between 270 & 350 Mbps consistently near the gateway but in other areas of our home it drops off to between 90 & 120 Mbps. We have a 3 level (with basement) ordinary constructed center-core floor plan home that is roughly 40'x30'. Since the 5G gateway. The best reception for the gateway necessitates its location at a 1st floor window about 15' from an adjoining exterior wall. I have 2 cat6A cables that were pre installed through the walls/floor to a central 1st floor location which is where the Deco unit now resides. I do not need blanket coverage for every corner of the house but the central placement should theoretically give me better strength to the areas where I will need it. 

I could not find a "one-stop-shopping" video or guide specifically for the marriage of an X55 Pro with an ASK1338 but did find several forums, blogs, and a couple videos that had partial helpful information. 

Initially I placed the Verizon ASK gateway in pass-through mode connecting the cat6A to the LAN-2 port on the ASK and the top 2.5G port on the Deco. The Verizon 5G WiFi network was gone and the new Deco network appeared but the max at the Deco unit was 80Mbps. I traded cables with the same result.  I also did a short run test with the Ethernet cable provided and got roughly the same result. I could not find a means to turn off the DHCP for the Deco as was suggested in fourms about other mesh units.

I reset the gateway to get it out of pass-through mode, left the short cable connected to the same ports, and restarted the Deco as was recommended in a fourm or two. Now I had both Verizon and Deco networks with 111Mbps at the Deco and 220Mbps at the Verizon gateway.

Obviously I want a single strong-signal network so I am asking the experts on here what I am doing wrong or what steps I have missed.

Thank you!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Need help setting up a Deco X55 pro mesh to work with my Verizon 5G home internet
2023-10-16 02:50:44

@h82missafire 

Hi, welcome to the community.

You could try to set Deco X55 Pro into Access Point mode, like this:

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Then disable the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi on the Verizon  ASK Gateway.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Need help setting up a Deco X55 pro mesh to work with my Verizon 5G home internet
2023-10-16 14:31:19

David-TP wrote

@h82missafire 

David, thanks for the info and I will give this a try.

I will report back.

Thanks again!

Options
2023-10-16 15:13:16

David-TP wrote

@h82missafire 

David, I was able to follow the directions from TP and disabled the WiFi on the gateway per your instructions.

I now have a Deco network and no Verizon network.

While going through the steps on the Deco App when selecting access point it states "it extends the wireless coverage of your existing network". 

That makes it sound like my existing network (Verizon) would be the one present? Im a little confused about that.

I am somewhat dissapointed by the Deco's coverage in that at a line of sight distance of 16', I am getting half the Mpbs that I am getting right next to the Deco.

Are there are other adjustments to the Deco via the app I should ensure are selected?

My original intent for usage was to have the Verizon gateway give me coverage along a corner of my house while the Deco as a mesh would cover the other areas needed.

Thanks

Kerry

Options