Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E

Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E

22 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E
2024-01-08 10:12:47

@Warpy Hi, Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

The support email #TKID231252654 indeed was from TP-Link( from me actually) via the forum official email---support.forum@tp-link.com. Usually, I will add the forum post ID to explain what this email is about.

I don't think this issue is easily duplicated. I talked with the engineer earlier. He thinks it is very likely to be the 6Ghz Backhaul SSID but it is not supposed to be visible though.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-08 10:35:30

@Nobby0_15 

Hi, Is the odd 6G SSID hidden or visible?

Could you please share some pictures with me?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2024-01-08 11:28:16

@David-TP it's visible and usually starts with lower case z.

For example it shows up on my phone.

It follows the 6GHz in that there are three access points in the group corresponding to the SSID and the MAC address is one less than the last octet of, for example, the 6Ghz SSID and one greater than the MAC address of the MLO SSID on the BE85.

I'm not sure but IIRC on the XE75 the mystery SSID would disappear when the 6GHz SSID was disabled.

That doesn't happen on the BE85, probably because the MLO SSID includes the 6GHz wireless.

Options
2024-01-08 13:11:38

@David-TP 

Screen shot attached.

Just for clarity.

I have XE75 Pro EU/2.0 running Firmware Version 1.2.7 Build 20231011 Rel. 71327

Current network is 1GHL_6Hz which is a "hidden" 6GHz network.

The unexpected SSID in "Available Networks" is zEQQeiXRYN1aWKXA

That SSID is definetly from the DECO and dissapears if I "unhide" the 1GHL_6GHz SSID.

File:
Wifi 6 Scrren Shot.jpgDownload
Options
Re:Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E-Solution
2024-01-09 06:52:08 - last edited 2024-06-26 01:51:04

@Nobby0_15 

@raven-au 

@Warpy 

@Nick682 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I got further updates from the engineers.

This SSID is used for 6Ghz Backhaul, which is hidden by default. However, after turning on the 6G main WiFi, this SSID will no longer be hidden.

The reason why we set this SSID as not hidden is to help the 6GHz client quickly discover the 6G signal. In our tests, if the 6G backhaul SSID is hidden after turning on the 6G main WiFi, some clients cannot quickly discover the 6G signal.

Even though This SSID is visible, It is encrypted by default and the security could be guaranteed.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-09 07:44:32

@David-TP 

Well that kinda defeats the purpose of Hidden SSIDs then!

I've not seen that behavior or reasoning with other non TP LInk routers.

One behavior I have noticed (and indeed think I read about it somewhere) is that the phone needs to go into lock screen before it auto-connects with a hidden SSID.

I'm using Andriod 14 (Samsung One UI 6) and if I turn on wifi it will not auto-connect to the hidden wifi SSID until the phone goes to screen lock. Again I am sure I read something somewhere about that behavior being normal. (I'll keep searching and post if I find it)

I really doubt that has anything to do with the backhaul SSID being visible or not.

Suggest maybe your engineers need to go back and investigate this further.

Regards

Options
2024-01-14 14:21:24

@David-TP I dont even use wifi backhaul, use ethernet backhaul between all 3 XE75, and the backhaul SSID still shows up which would be completely unnecesary with ethernet backhaul....

definitely not happy with this product, just looks like sheer sloppy bandaid engineering.....my 6E devices have trouble connecting as per everyone else simialr issue

Options
2024-07-19 09:19:14

@David-TP

@Nobby0_15 

@raven-au 

@Warpy 

@Nick682 

Hi, only my two cents:
A product where security should be a beacon, like a router or an access point. It is really questionable to have these devices broadcasting SSID with passwords where I as an owner can't control or monitor either network, SSID or password.

As an administrator and responsible for the network would state that this is really the worst backdoor I have ever heard about, hiding in plain sight.

These DECO products should be used with greatest care until TP-Link has locked them down and security is at trustworthy level.

My best regards
Pelle

Options
2024-07-19 12:38:50

Hi @Pelle_07

What is the password of the backhaul SSID?

Best​ regards,

9ux

Options
2024-07-19 14:14:19

@9ux 

That's just the point, nobody knows.
So beware of Chinese unmarked cars driving around.... TP-Link defenitly have or can atleast gain access to the passwords, or atleast need to prove that they can't. :-)

//Pelle

Options