Tapo C200 only 2 minutes for live viewing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-31 09:29:35 - last edited 2022-06-15 09:39:19
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Why Tapo C200 camera only allow 2 minute continuously for live viewing while device and camera in different internet domain? And I have to push "Update" to update the screen every 2 minute. This is not make sense.. Does that cannot give an option for user to choose how much time they would like to look?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C200 only 2 minutes for live viewing-Solution
2021-06-25 09:27:37 - last edited 2022-06-15 09:39:58

2022/05  added troubleshooting step of ping test and collect camera log 

Hello everyone, 

If you could not stream Tapo camera continuously, please read this FAQ that helps explain the situation:

Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

To stream Tapo camera in Tapo APP continuously,  make sure your mobile devices are connected to home Wi-Fi /under local network. 

When the phone is watching live view remotely,  ' Tap to continue' warning may pop up  around  2~5 mins.

If your device is under local Wi-Fi but still prompts Tap to continue to message, try to troubleshoot as steps here: 

STEP1: Make sure you have turned off Mobile data on phone, and phones are connected to Home Wi-Fi

NOTE that if one of the phone is using mobile data or non-local Wi-Fi at that time, that may trigger the warning

STEP2: Turn off AP isolation and lower firewall level on host router 

Check if phone/ cam connects to an isolated network, like Guest Wi-Fi, a different VLAN. 

STEP3: For IOS 14 devices, allow 'Local Network' permission for Tapo app on IOS devices. 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/293

STEP4: Ensure Tapo APP and camera firmware is up-to-date. 

If your mobile device is connected to local Wi-Fi but still has warning, please Start a New thread  with information here , we could look into it further: 

1>  Model of router  & network topology, e.g.: Archer C7 router  <wireless>Tapo C200 

2> Model of your mobile device and its Android or IOS version

3>  Model and Mac address of your camera (please share MAC address to us via private message)

4>  A photo of error message & time

5>   Tapo APP version

6>  Get the log of camera when issue occurs 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera?

7> When error pops up, try to ping camera IP on the phone and see if there is any time out ( this is to check if communication between local devices is fine) 

follow 2.Check the delay between a camera and a phone on local network in instruction below

How to check the network connection stability of a Tapo Camera

Pic : enable Local Network for Tapo APP on iPhone

Recommended Solution
Options
42 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 only 2 minutes for live viewing
2020-02-25 21:54:50

Curious about the same. 

If they don't fix, i will return all 12 cameras I bought.. 

Options
2020-03-05 07:28:26 - last edited 2020-03-06 00:28:32

@ydinopoulos @CarlosArsene 

Hello,

When you are remotely viewing the camera, you can watch the live stream for as long as 2 minutes without any operation on the camera APP, then you will be prompted to continue the viewing. Click Yes to continue. The live stream will take up more bandwidth, this design can reduce bandwidth consumption.

If you want to view the live video continuously, we can use some third-party software, the related instruction as below.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2680/

Good day.

Options
2020-03-13 13:20:08 - last edited 2020-03-13 13:21:01

@Stella.Q 

Hi

please make this optional, this makes all the Tapo stuff useless. The bandwidth usage is my problem, please don't care about my data plans.

If I want to use RTSP and all the stuff and point of errors like VPN, dynamic DNS, port forwarding, i'll go back to my old cameras....

maybe returning the cams back to amazon is the best option :(

-AIT

Options
2020-03-13 13:29:32 - last edited 2020-03-13 13:31:33

@Stella.Q 

Sorry, but that's ridiculous at least. Suggesting a 3rd party app, for using your camera? 

I m gonna wait a month to see if they removed it or

made it optional. Otherwise I ll sell them and obviously going to mention it in Google Play, major internet tech/it forums and Facebook groups. 

Otherwise... I d rather get a 15 usd Chinese ip cam and use that with a 3rd party app... 

In app each camera uses max 180 KB/s (at least that's the max i ve seen) 

Options
2020-03-16 02:59:20 - last edited 2020-03-17 07:30:52

@ydinopoulos @AIT 

Hi,

We will feedback to our R&D department and then they will work on and evaluate the feasibility. As for now, you can try to use third-party software as a workaround.

Please keep your eyes on our app or official website for the update.

Good day.

Options
2020-04-02 09:57:37 - last edited 2020-04-02 09:58:27

I also have this issue and would like it addressed.

I am viewing the cameras often inside my house on Google Nest Screens so its pretty useless that I cannot see the camera output for more than 2 minutes.

Its on same wifi so 0 risk to data but thats my issue anyway.

Instead of hammering battery on an android/apple device - is there a solution for a permanently on device which outputs like a raspberry Pi or windows based PC using a monitor?

Options
2020-04-02 10:10:32

@Aaron1988 Check ivideon server. free to use and has windows and linux support.

I m trying to install mine on a Rpi 4 hooked with  2TB USB3 disk

Options
2020-04-17 11:27:21

@Stella.Q 

can I ask when the issue will be resolved regarding the 10 minute screen pop-up?

im using the camera as a baby monitor and it is totally useless in the night to keep waking up to the warning notice

please reply

Options
2020-05-26 05:00:41 - last edited 2020-05-26 07:21:42

@Stella.Q 

10 minute screen pop-up sounds like some kind of joke.

Otherwise, how can anybody do something so stupid, I could'n believe when i saw this.

Since I'm a developer for many years, I have seen many similar stupidities so far and this one is for top 10.

Telling users to install some 3'rd party software is also totaly unprofessional. At least you should somehow embed it into your app if that is the case.

How can one basic user open ports on router and set everything? And is this 3'rd party software also handy for using it from the same phone - on your demo is only from computer.

(I haven't research further).

I don't understand what is the problem to remove 10 minutes popup. It is probably one line of code. Or at least you could simulate click on continue button if something must be cleared.

Because of this failure your camera is totally useless.

I really don't understand you, I have felling that from some reason you dont won't to sell your cameras.

Options
2020-10-21 01:43:58

@CarlosArsene Hi!,
Did you guys found a solution to the 10minute notification? I have the same problem, i just got it today, im so sad :(

thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 18

Views: 27897

Replies: 42

Related Articles