Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

107 Reply
RE:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2023-06-03 14:31:05
The Kasa app is infinitely better, it would be great to be able to have Tapo devices on Kasa app. Specially cameras (c200)
Options
2023-06-06 00:59:48
I have been invited to beta test the new Tapo app and I am delighted to say it incorporates both Kasa and Tapo devices into 1 application. Thanks to TP-Link for finally recognising this as a major issue and working on it. If you haven’t been invited, keep an eye out for updates to the Tapo app :)
Options
2023-06-13 09:47:45

@D1sturbed666 
Have they mentioned when are they gonna release the version to the public? I am looking into buying one more camera and kasa is not being sold anymore here.

Regards,
Nino

Options
2023-07-16 03:13:15

@D1sturbed666 

Hello,

today 7/15/23 I purchased seven new TP-Link cameras and just found out that I cannot add them to Kasa with 18 other tp link devices.

I need to have the beta app within the next days - otherwise I will be returning all 7 new cameras by Thursday 7/20. Will the new app automatically add all devices or would I have to go through the setup routine again for the ones already in Kasa.

Thank you.

kiliren

Options
Re:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2023-07-18 10:47:24

Bought the Tapo C210 thinking I could add to the Kasa app so I have all the in one place. Unfortunately and just like all the sentiments here, I now have two apps to view a number of cameras.

Is it still possible to be included in the beta?

When is the release of the updated Tapo app? And please confirm my understanding that the updated app allows to add Kasa devices?

Options
2023-07-20 05:15:39

@Solla-topee Has the project manager who is responsible for Kasa and Tapo apps not having any form of interoperability been sacked yet? They clearly failed when they developed the spec for the Tapo project, in missing out the requirement for legacy support for you older products!

This is a totaly unaceptable stiuation and you have failed your customers.

Options
2023-07-20 11:53:35

@bugoy8   @Kiliren @Rev.Jo 

Hi,
Thank you for reaching out and for your feedback.

Please click on Join Tapo Version 3.0 Beta Test and follow the instruction to join the beta test if you want.

You can go to the new Tapo beta app>Me>Link Tapo with Kasa to authorize you to manage all your Kasa devices in the Tapo beta app, and no need to set up the Kasa device on the Tapo app again. (Please ensure the Tapo and Kasa app logged in with the same TP-Link ID)

And the Tapo beta app allows you to add most of the Kasa devices now, and more Kasa devices will be allowed to add via app updates.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-04 22:53:46

Solla-topee wrote

@bugoy8   @Kiliren @Rev.Jo 

Hi,
Thank you for reaching out and for your feedback.

Please click on Join Tapo Version 3.0 Beta Test and follow the instruction to join the beta test if you want.

You can go to the new Tapo beta app>Me>Link Tapo with Kasa to authorize you to manage all your Kasa devices in the Tapo beta app, and no need to set up the Kasa device on the Tapo app again. (Please ensure the Tapo and Kasa app logged in with the same TP-Link ID)

And the Tapo beta app allows you to add most of the Kasa devices now, and more Kasa devices will be allowed to add via app updates.

Best Regards

@Solla-topee Interesting decision to create new app for a new product with not a lot of devices and "add support" for the tons of devices from the old app. Would have been much smarter to just keep the Kasa app and add support for the Tapo products as they get released. Sure would have upset a lot less people and been far less confusing. 

Options
2023-08-10 22:49:38

@Solla-topee 

Solla-topee wrote

@v_a_s_i_l_y  Hello, 

Actually Tapo is relative new product line and its software development and app are designed by a different team, combining two apps isn't the plan when tapo is designed. You would see the function sections are quite different on Kasa and Tapo apps, and the detailed feature differentiated especially on Tapo and Kasa cameras. 

For the advertising on tp-link website, Tapo is on a different classification, owns a  new Logo, has the guidance downloading Tapo app on Overview page. If the retailer advertising is not clear enough or vague, please help share the link and we will try to make that more clear. 

We could understand users owns two products prefer to use the same app for management convenience, while combing two apps isn't a very easy task and so far I'm afaid there isn't an existing project for the app combination,  thank you for every suggestion, we will record and forward your feedback to related team for further evaluation. 

Again all your team is doing is stating the obvious that it wont work, you aren't listening that we understand its different, we are saying it shouldn't be. The market is flooded with brands and ecosystems, what none of us expect is to have to deal with 2 ecosystems within one brand when trying to decide which products we are going to buy.

This is just an insane way of confusing and alienating your clientbase.

Options
2023-08-11 14:12:13

@Solla-topee 

I am a bit leery to install the new Tapo app and risk destroying my Kasa app and settings.

Can you confirm that if I install the Tapo Beta app that I can still control my cameras, lights and devices with the Kasa app without change if the new app does not work for me? If I have to reprogram all of my devices and settings, I will probably just get rid of it all and go with a differnet brand.

Appreciate the effort to establish interoperability, but you guys need to step it up. You have lost a lot of customers with this dumb rebranding and attempted abandonment of the Kasa line.

Thanks.

Options

Voters 34

+ 30 Voters