How can I play an RTSP live stream of my Tapo camera over the Internet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-16 11:05:31
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Hello,

I am developing a software. I would like to play an RTSP live stream of my Tapo camera over the Internet but cannot figure out how.

Reading this page (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2680/), I was able to play an RTSP live stream on computers within a local area network (LAN), where the camera is located.

In C++ along with OpenCV, for example, I wrote something like:

cv::VideoCapture cap("rtsp://username:password@IP_address_of_the_camera:554/stream1");

Now, I tried to do the same with a computer outside the LAN. The above code, of course, did not work because it does not tell the global/external IP address of the router for the LAN.

As I searched relevant information, it seems like I need the following info:

1) Local IP address of Tapo camera (which I can see on the official Tapo app)

2) Internal IP address of the router (which I have)

3) External IP address of the router (which I have)

4) Port number (which probably is 554)

Using the above four, I probably need to do 'port forwarding' on the router.

Now, my first question is: Should the C++ code still be like this?

cv::VideoCapture cap("rtsp://username:password@IP_address_of_the_camera:554/stream1");

Or do I need to write the code differently (like http://...)?

My second question is about port forwarding. I am using a Ubuntu/Linux computer as a Wi-Fi router (i.e., activated a 'hotspot' function). Thus, I cannot log in to a web page for the router in order to port forwarding unlike typical routers. This, however, does not seem to be necessary because the official Tapo app appears to do it automatically when configuring a camera (perhaps, using UPnP). So how can I do something like that?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:How can I play an RTSP live stream of my Tapo camera over the Internet?
2020-05-20 07:59:41

@tkEAB 

This seems to beyond my capability to answer but I think you may seek some help from the open-source website like GitHub.

Options
2020-12-24 07:24:12

@Solla-topee Really? that's how you respond to your customers? need better customer support

Options
2021-12-04 07:19:46

@ama1  if you can search Google, and set up an vpn to your local network, then you can connect to your tapo by local ip address.

Like your global ip is 123.123.123.123, you local Tapo ip is 192.168.1.3,

you use vpn to connect to 123.123.123.123, and allow the client to access local server by vpn, then when you type in 192.168.1.3 in opencv(make sure opencv will use the vpn lan), then the data will access 123.123.123.123's 192.168.1.3.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4503

Replies: 3