Tapo app "Pairing failed"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 11:35:53
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I am reaching out because I am having a problem with my new tplink camera.

So the backgournd and details first:
My home network is being served by two routers and an access point.
First (front) is my ISP's gateway modem/router which is handling my VDSL line and operates in bridge mode.
Hard wired to it there is my dd-wrt router (Cisco) which acts as my firewall and my DHCP server.
Finally my tplink EAP225-V3 is also hardwired to my dd-wrt router and provides WiFi to all my wireless devices in (and out) of my house.

Up until now I also had an OEM IP camera connected to my EAP225 working fine both when accessing it from within my home as well as from the outside using the relevant app on my smartphone.

And then I bought a tplink Tapo C200 to replace it...

The Tapo C200 needs to be configured via the Tapo app at first in order to ba accessible/functional. Every time I tried to connect to my home wifi (coming from my EAP225) the app would show me the "Pairing failed" error message.
When setting up the camera there are three steps:
1) Connect the tapo app (smartphone) to the camera's wifi.

2) Select the wireless home network for the camera to join and give the password for it to connect.

3) Pair the device.

The first two steps were always successful whereas the pairing always failed! The camera was always getting the proper (static) IP from my router, but for some reason the last step (pairing) could not be done. Therefore the camera was NOT working at all.

I tried everything I could think of (and read). Different smartphone, tablet, passwords, wifi channels, disabled firewall completely, app permissions (you name it) and there was always the same error.

Finally, I turned on the wifi on my dd-wrt router and VOILA! The Tapo C200 is now working fine!

To sum up; when bypassing the EAP225 completely and using the wifi from my dd-wrt router everything is in order.

What settings should I be looking into? Tapo C200 or EAP225?

Thanks in advance.

PS
I knon it works but I rather have my EAP225 be the only WiFi AP. There shouldn't be a need to have my router's WiFi on as well.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tapo app "Pairing failed"
2020-06-14 14:47:23

@Sky12016 me too... exactly the same problem with the same setup, and I have two C200 that doesn't work

Options
2020-06-15 06:18:36

@Patrik_ 

Hello, may I know your network topology? Is it the same as Sky12016? What is the model of your main router? Kindly provide more info and we will try our best to help solve it.

Options
2020-06-15 07:03:49 - last edited 2020-06-15 07:04:32

@Solla-topee Thank you for your response. Yes, I also have the EAP225, as standalone connected directly to my fiber converter (temporary solution, I will get a router).

I did countless attempts to factory reset all units, turning of 5ghz in the EAP, but nothing seemed to work. Then, when I tried to turn on only channel 11, I got the first Tapo to connect. So I turned that Tapo off (to use the same power outlet) and installed the second Tapo. Didn't work, just the same old result. "The networks seem unstable, try again later".

That was all yesterday, this morning I found in the EAP settings that QoS was turned on. I just tried turning it off and then the Tapos could connect! Both of them are now working, even when I turned 5ghz back on, with the same SSID.

So, I guess I solved it but I still don't know why that is. Is the Tapo misinterpreted as VoIP or something?

Options
2020-06-15 08:26:20

@Patrik_ 

Thank you so much for getting back with detailed info, which is really helpful for further investigation.

We will feedback to the engineers again and ask them to confirm.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3400

Replies: 4

Related Articles