Why does the C200 spam time servers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-27 10:53:01 - last edited 2020-05-28 11:46:41
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

Hello,

While diagnosing some connectivity issues with my new Tapo C200, now fixed, I noticed that it constantly tries to get to many time servers, and never stops. This is a small portion of the logging I produced but it goes on and on like this:

Why is it doing this after it successfully sets the time?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Why does the C200 spam time servers?-Solution
2020-05-28 06:57:41 - last edited 2020-05-28 11:46:41

@Taomyn 

The camera will automatically update its time when it's connected to the NTP server successfully. If the camera constantly tries to connect different NTP servers, it might the camera cannot connect to one. Here are the suggestions:

1. Check and ensure your camera is successfully online and connected to the cloud server;

2. Ensure there is no special setting on your gateway router which blocked the connection to the NTP server;

3. Confirm the connection between the camera and your gateway router is stable, if not, change some basic wireless settings on the router to improve the connection status.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Why does the C200 spam time servers?-Solution
2020-05-28 06:57:41 - last edited 2020-05-28 11:46:41

@Taomyn 

The camera will automatically update its time when it's connected to the NTP server successfully. If the camera constantly tries to connect different NTP servers, it might the camera cannot connect to one. Here are the suggestions:

1. Check and ensure your camera is successfully online and connected to the cloud server;

2. Ensure there is no special setting on your gateway router which blocked the connection to the NTP server;

3. Confirm the connection between the camera and your gateway router is stable, if not, change some basic wireless settings on the router to improve the connection status.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Why does the C200 spam time servers?
2020-05-28 08:26:10

@Solla-topee but it does work, one of the issues before was that the clock was completely wrong, date was back in March, then when I fixed my network issues it got the correct time but then it continued to spam the NTP servers - each of those was a successful connection before I then added a rule to block them as I did not want my connection associated with a potential DoS attack, which is what it looks like even if it's not what it's supposed to be. Even so, when you can't access a service you shouldn't be spamming it forever to get a connection, it should give up gracefully after a shortwhile then report the issue. This is poor coding.

Options
2020-05-28 09:13:23

@Taomyn 

Since the smart camera is an IoT device and it will require to connect to the cloud server and NTP server to update the device time, so it will constantly connect to the NTP server if it cannot connect one.

We will also check and see if there is a necessity to optimize this feature in the future by comparing with other cloud cameras, thanks for your suggestion.

Options
2021-02-16 13:51:23 - last edited 2021-02-16 13:51:59

The issue is imho that C200 does not check for local NTP servers in your own LAN. In my case the router provides a well synchronized NTP service but C200 doesn't care about it.

When i openend port 123 (TCP/UDP) for outgoing requests the cam was satisfied and the date and time are set correctly.

Urgent Task for tp-link:

Not every IoT device really needs the worldwide cloud...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2099

Replies: 4

Related Articles