Sd card not formatting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sd card not formatting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Sd card not formatting
Sd card not formatting
2021-04-28 20:07:58 - last edited 2022-08-24 00:49:38
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi can anyone help, have the camera a few months was working fine, suddening the sd card isn't working will not format/ initialising.. had no issue till now.. I tried restarting taking out the card etc

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sd card not formatting-Solution
2021-04-29 04:02:40 - last edited 2022-08-24 00:49:32

Hello everyone, 

If  Tapo camera fails to format SD card , or SD card can not be detected, please try some suggestions here 

1. Here is an instruction that helps with troubleshoot SD card problem, kindly give it a try and let us know if it works for you.
What should I do if the SD card doesn’t work properly on my camera?

2. Try a SD card with 8 GB to 128 GB capacity  (* capacity less than 2 GB is not supported):
Which microSD cards are supported on Tapo and Kasa Cameras? 

3. Verify if SD card is Fake (expanded capacity) with H2testw software and share a photo with us ( NOTE: back up important files before run the test )

How to Verify Fake Micro SD Cards

4. Confirm Tapo APP and tapo Camera firmware are both up to date. 

If still the same issue, please  Create a new thread here  and provide some with case details to help look into the case further. 

1. Model and Hardware version of Tapo camera

2.  Brand & Capacity of the SD 

3.  photo of SD card

4.  photo of H2testw test result 

5.  photo of the error on Tapo APP 

6.  Mac address & SN of camera (please share via private message)

* this post will be marked as solution so users could get the information easily and provide further feedback

Thank you for your understanding. 

More Articles:

Tapo Camera Smart Action: Motion-Triggered Automation & Privacy Mode Shortcut 

What to do if you fail to enable the Tapo Skill in Alexa APP?

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Sd card not formatting
2021-04-28 20:23:12

@085ash87 

I've got the exact same issue. 

Only started with an issue after updating it though. 

I updated my other camera today and that works fine. 

Tried reset, reboot etc. 

This is the second card to do this, i really don't want to buy a third. 

Options
Re:Sd card not formatting-Solution
2021-04-29 04:02:40 - last edited 2022-08-24 00:49:32

Hello everyone, 

If  Tapo camera fails to format SD card , or SD card can not be detected, please try some suggestions here 

1. Here is an instruction that helps with troubleshoot SD card problem, kindly give it a try and let us know if it works for you.
What should I do if the SD card doesn’t work properly on my camera?

2. Try a SD card with 8 GB to 128 GB capacity  (* capacity less than 2 GB is not supported):
Which microSD cards are supported on Tapo and Kasa Cameras? 

3. Verify if SD card is Fake (expanded capacity) with H2testw software and share a photo with us ( NOTE: back up important files before run the test )

How to Verify Fake Micro SD Cards

4. Confirm Tapo APP and tapo Camera firmware are both up to date. 

If still the same issue, please  Create a new thread here  and provide some with case details to help look into the case further. 

1. Model and Hardware version of Tapo camera

2.  Brand & Capacity of the SD 

3.  photo of SD card

4.  photo of H2testw test result 

5.  photo of the error on Tapo APP 

6.  Mac address & SN of camera (please share via private message)

* this post will be marked as solution so users could get the information easily and provide further feedback

Thank you for your understanding. 

More Articles:

Tapo Camera Smart Action: Motion-Triggered Automation & Privacy Mode Shortcut 

What to do if you fail to enable the Tapo Skill in Alexa APP?

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-04-29 06:03:28

@Solla-topee 

Yes had the camera around 5 months. 

Using the correct sd card at 128gb.

Worked fine. 

Camera is up to date, app is up to date. 

Camera has not been touched/moved... Just suddenly stopped recording. 

I get the warning on the camera and the app that the card needs formatting.... I click the format button... It then says error in formatting please try again. 

Haven't got the facility to check it on a computer. 

Will have to buy another sd card. This is the last time though before I change to another brand of camera. Too many issues with tapo (doesn't always record movements, often goes offline, doesn't record voices well and often misses the start of any movement recordings). 

Options
2021-04-30 01:56:22

@Stacey2 Good day, 

Thanks for your update, if possible please get a SD card reader and test if SD is working on your computer.  You may need to format the SD on the computer again.

Or you could consider swapping the 2 SD cards in cameras (of course back up your SD file in the working SD card first), if both SD cards does not work in the current camera,  please kindly provide brand/ storage/ model of the SD card we'd like to escalate your case to the seniors for some further debug and test.  Many thanks. 

Options
2021-04-30 04:16:17

Solla-topee wrote

Format the SD card on the computer into format "FAT32" and put it back to Camera and format again. (back up your files in SD card before reformat )

Guys, most people today using Windows 10 I guess, under Windows 10 you can't format this card into 'FAT32', you need third party software for this!

Options
2021-05-06 03:58:24

@gboelter 

Thanks for the information! Welcome to share if any 3rd party software that had worked for you~

It looks like Window10 could not format a SD when the storage is more 32Gb. I found an instruction online that uses  command to format a SD to FAT32 for reference: 

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-format-a-usb-drive-to-fat32-on-windows-10/

Options
2022-01-04 23:38:40

@Solla-topee I've had same issue and have tried 3 different cards and sizes they all fail. Have a feeling Tp-link want you to sign up for their cloud services and pay a monthly fee. Why don't they sell formatted cards with their cameras. I've contacted customer service and usual replies try another brand or size.  Disappointing really nice camera's but dodgy.tactics by TP-link to milk its customers.

Options
2022-01-05 01:17:07 - last edited 2022-01-05 01:17:35

Hello @Tamrind 

sorry to hear about the experience, as far as I know this could be related to if SD card is fake=expanded capacity, can you help run test as using H2testw  as # 3 of this thread and share a photo of test result and I would like to escalate your case. Please ensure tapo APP is the latest and share a photo of the error , SD card info, SD card photo. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6764

Replies: 8

Related Articles