Recently some customers had trouble activating the Tapo skill in Alexa APP while the Tapo device was working fine in the Tapo APP. The new Tapo APP released in July 2022 has solved this problem, and we'd like to share some details about the fix and more troubleshooting tips for similar concerns.
This Article Applies to:
You may fail to enable the Tapo skill in Alexa, after typing in Tapo account username and password, there is an error message "we were unable to link Tapo at this time, please try again later" or the next page does not load properly as follows.
Fixed on the Tapo APP version 2.8.20 and later app version.
Please make sure your Tapo APP is up-to-date in the APP Store or Google Play.
If you experience a similar issue, it's time to give an update for your Tapo APP!
If you still failed to authorize skill in the Alexa app, here are some other tips that might help with your case.
1. Make sure your Tapo device firmware and Tapo app are both up to date.
2. Disable then enable Tapo skill.
Go to the Home page > Skills & Games> Your Skills > TP-LINK
Tapo > DISABLE SKILLS > Disable, then click "ENABLE TO USE" and you can type in the TP-LINK Tapo account (Email and password).
3. Try to enable Tapo Skill in the Amazon web portal.
4. Try some other Tips as the following troubleshooting guide suggests:
If the issue persists after all steps above, please start a new thread and help provide the following information:
1) A photo of the error message in the Alexa app.
2) Please help describe the phenomena in detail and let troubleshooting that already has been done.
3) Model number of the Tapo device.
4) Tapo & Alexa App version.
5) Model of phone and Phone OS.
6) TP-Link ID and the MAC address of the Tapo device. (please share via a private message)