Tapo C200 "Failed to receive IP Address" out of nowhere

Tapo C200 "Failed to receive IP Address" out of nowhere

23 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 "Failed to receive IP Address" out of nowhere
2023-09-21 23:41:43

@Winwin3642 Our C210 stopped working but I managed to fix it just now! Trying to reset and connect it to the same Wifi network as before kept giving us the "Failed to receieve IP address" error. I imagine the C210 and C200 are roughly the same so this fix may help someone else.

First things first - reset the camera by holding the reset button down.

Try connecting to it via a phone hotspot instead of your wifi. For us this worked, and showed that it was an issue with the wifi set up (although I didn't change anything so was confused how that could have happened, anyway on with the fix!)

Once connected to the camera via hotspot, check for firmware updates and install one if available.

Next, I logged in to my router (D-link DSL-2890AL) and noticed that the WPA mode on the 2.4GHz band was 'Auto(WPA or WPA2)', with cipher type 'TKIP and AES'. The DSL router is amazing because it explains what all of this means to lay people like me:

"Use WPA or WPA2 mode to achieve a balance of strong security and best compatibility. This mode uses WPA for legacy clients while maintaining higher security with stations that are WPA2 capable. Also the strongest cipher that the client supports will be used. For best security, use WPA2 Only mode. This mode uses AES(CCMP) cipher and legacy stations are not allowed access with WPA security. For maximum compatibility, use WPA Only. This mode uses TKIP cipher. Some gaming and legacy devices work only in this mode.

To achieve better wireless performance use WPA2 Only security mode (or in other words AES cipher)."

So i changed the settings to TKIP only for better compatibility and reset the router to enact changes. I then reset the camera to be able to try connecting it to the home wifi again, and Voila! it worked perfectly. The camera reset kept the updated firmware.

Because I upgraded firmware AND did the TKIP change at the same time, I don't know what worked.

I was able to also change the wifi security back to 'TKIP and AES' afterwards without screwing up the camera, so that's a win too

Options
2024-03-18 22:35:27

@Solla-topee connecting to hot spot, updating the camera, resetting it and re connecting to my home wifi did the trick. Thanks!!

Options
2024-03-19 10:55:31

@M3nace46 Glad to hear your case is solved and thank you for your sharing.

Options
Related Articles