Motion detection while offline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-07 19:48:41 - last edited 2021-10-14 11:43:03
Model: Tapo C100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I was curious to see what happens if the camera detects motion when there's no active internet connection. What I had expected/hoped is that the camera would start recording to the SD card after detecting motion as usual, and later send a notification to the user/app when the internet connection is working again.

Unfortunately, this did not happen. There was no notification after reconnecting to the internet, refreshing notifications in the app was of no use. Even worse, there was no motion event shown on the timeline at the time when it should have been recorded.

I also had a look at the files on the SD card, but unfortunately, all mp4s have the same "last modified" date, and most of them are not even playable.

So I wonder why the camera seems to be incapable to detect/record motion when it is not connected to the internet. Is the motion detection performed on the camera itself or in the cloud? The latter would be creepy, imo.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Motion detection while offline-Solution
2021-09-09 02:52:57 - last edited 2021-10-14 11:43:03

@kullerhamPster  Hello, 

Thanks for @alvaro123's explanation! Notification requires internet to work properly as camera need to interact with cloud to push notifications on the phones.

But Camera should be able to record the video in the SD card even it does not have Internet ( after camera finished the set-up process in the APP )

If it does not record or detect motion, please double-check your SD card status, make sure SD card status is fine. 

Make sure you have enabled motion Detection, and the recording schedule is properly set up. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2622/

Try to enable Alarm on camera, and see if motion will trigger the Alarm on camera? 

If the above does not help, can I have a photo of your SD card status, and your current motion detection settings, also a photo of the timeline, thank you. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Motion detection while offline
2021-09-08 23:33:32

@kullerhamPster I seem like he's making a mistake. The camera if it detects movement and record without internet but does not send notification until the connection is reestablished.

Options
Re:Motion detection while offline-Solution
2021-09-09 02:52:57 - last edited 2021-10-14 11:43:03

@kullerhamPster  Hello, 

Thanks for @alvaro123's explanation! Notification requires internet to work properly as camera need to interact with cloud to push notifications on the phones.

But Camera should be able to record the video in the SD card even it does not have Internet ( after camera finished the set-up process in the APP )

If it does not record or detect motion, please double-check your SD card status, make sure SD card status is fine. 

Make sure you have enabled motion Detection, and the recording schedule is properly set up. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2622/

Try to enable Alarm on camera, and see if motion will trigger the Alarm on camera? 

If the above does not help, can I have a photo of your SD card status, and your current motion detection settings, also a photo of the timeline, thank you. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Motion detection while offline
2021-09-09 20:52:17

Thank you for your replies. It's good to know that it should actually work the way I hoped it would. Perhaps it didn't recognize motion at all.

Setting an alarm is a good idea, I'll give this a try .

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1309

Replies: 3

Related Articles