How do I setup Tapo C310 without app and without internet ? Both is nogo for security reasons.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How do I setup Tapo C310 without app and without internet ? Both is nogo for security reasons.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-24 22:16:56
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: NoIdea

For security reasons my camera should at no time be connected to the internet (like my other cams).

Neither will I use any app or cloud service/login.

I expected that I could get to the device locally using a normal web connection like for any other cam, but I can't make that work - neither of the 4 open ports 443, 554, 2020 and 8800 can be browsed.

Eventually I want the cam to connect to Synology Surveillance Station running on an isolated part of my network with no internet access.

What is my options ? 

Thanks

Claus

Options
4 Reply
Re:How do I setup Tapo C310 without app and without internet ? Both is nogo for security reasons.
2021-09-26 09:23:30 - last edited 2021-09-26 09:31:58

Good day@cb831 ,

Tapo camera initial setup should be done on Tapo app, unlike some IP cameras, it does not have a web page for installation or management.

Camera will get an IP address from the router after the initial set up, and it should be in your local network even  there is no internet connection after the first setup.

Tapo camera supports ONVIF (profile S) and RTSP protocol, if your Synology Surveillance supports standard ONVIF protocol and in the network, you could follow the guide from Sysnlogy to add a camera. 

Here are some guides that may help: How can I connect my Tapo camera to a NAS https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2748/

View tapo camera via RTSP: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2680/

Options
Re:How do I setup Tapo C310 without app and without internet ? Both is nogo for security reasons.
2021-09-26 11:15:06

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the answer - the internet required for "initial setup" - is that only to download the app ?

I think I read about that you should also register/create some credentials in the cloud ?

In other words if I

- download app while being on 4G

- connect cam and phone to same isolated DHCP served VLAN not having access to anything

I should be able to setup the cam  and reset the phone afterwards.

And when cam is setup with credentials and ONVIF enabled I should be able to toss the phone and connect the CAM to my isolated CAM VLAN and ONVIF it from the Surveillance Station using new DHCP address in that VLAN and credentials created above ??

Thanks

Claus

Options
2021-09-26 11:56:36 - last edited 2021-09-26 12:01:36

@cb831 Tapo app requires to register a cloud account first before you add a smart device. 

When set up the camera, camera will connect to router Wi-Fi, as far as I know APP setup process require Wi-Fi has Internet access  , or some errors may pop up and interrupts the setup. Later set up Camera credentials on APP (for camera login on other portals.)

If you prefer to put Cam in an isolated VLAN, the VLAN need to  have Internet at that time (perhaps block internet in that VLAN later)

Cam and surveillance need to be in the same VLAN. 

Theoretically the above should work, you could have a real test. Feel free to let us know how it goes

Options
2021-09-28 11:00:58

@cb831 I decided to return the webcam as it will never meet my security expectations.

Options