Turning the Tapo C100 off via voice not possible on normal Echo devices, why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-25 08:17:37
Model: Tapo C100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have integrated the C100 into my Alexa Echo 4 without issues. I can turn the camera on and off manually in the Alexa app yet I can't do it via voice. Integrating it into routines also doesn't work (device not supported). Why does this not work via voice if I can do it manually in the Alexa app?

Is there at least a workaround? I want to say "I am leaving the house" and my security things should turn on including the camera. Even just saying "turn camera on" would be enough. Why doesn't this work?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Turning the Tapo C100 off via voice not possible on normal Echo devices, why?
2021-09-26 11:02:13 - last edited 2021-09-26 11:03:38

Hello@Celico ,

It is seems that Tapo Cam does not support ON/ OFF or Alexa routines voice commands. 

Tapo cam supports showing/ stop live feeds on echo device with a display, here are the voice commands that supported by TapoCam:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2738/

Options
Re:Turning the Tapo C100 off via voice not possible on normal Echo devices, why?
2021-09-26 14:11:12
Then please add support! I really don't understand why this is not possible since there is an on/off switch in the Alexa app that works with the Tapo Cams.
Options
2021-09-28 03:20:42 - last edited 2021-09-28 03:33:39

Hey@Celico ,

Thank you for your idea, we would record your suggestion first for further evaluation.  I noticed the above FAQ mentions a possible hinder of the ON/OFF feature implement.

' the Tapo camera doesn’t support “camera on/off” command due to possible security risks. For example, an intruder could potentially shut off your cameras with a simple command.' 

If you would like to stop and camera streaming or recording, tapo camera privacy probably could work as a workaround: 

(How to use Privacy Mode of my Tapo camera) https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2791/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 304

Replies: 3