TAPO C310 WONT FORMAT SD CARD..

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-07 05:13:58 - last edited 2023-07-12 10:13:54
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Version: 1.1.10 build 21085 rel. 70571n(4555)

what happened to my tapo? i can't format my sd card even tho it's brandnew.. the first problem is my old regular sd card (SanDisk) is full.. when im trying to format it.. it won't format via tapo app.. so i tried formatting it on my laptop.. but same problem happened. so i opt to buy a new sd card(sandisk).. but when i try to format or initialize i always got the error message saying it wont format.. but when i format it on my laptop there's no problem..  can you help me with this problem? i think its the firmware update that's causing the problem at all.. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TAPO C310 WONT FORMAT SD CARD..-Solution
2021-11-08 01:24:40 - last edited 2023-07-12 10:08:08
Update on July 12, 2023.

Hello everyone,

If you encounter the issue that can't format/initialize the microSD card successfully on the Tapo app, please refer to the suggestions here:
1. Ensure the Tapo app and the Tapo cam are up to date.

2. Refer to the below link to verify if the microSD card is fake with the H2testw software. If the test result is the microSD card is fake or bad(with errors), it may be the microSD card is damaged, and it's suggested to use a new microSD card.
How to Verify Fake Micro SD Cards?
Here is the instruction to select a microSD card for the Tapo & Kasa Cameras.

3. Turn off the camera, remove and re-insert the microSD card several times, then turn on the camera and check if the microSD card can be formatted.

4. Move the camera closer to the host router and ensure it has a good and stable connection, then try to format the microSD card.

5. Try other microSD cards in the camera if there are any.

If the issue remains, please Start a New Thread and provide more details to help look into the case further. 
1. Confirm the model, Firmware version, and Hardware version of the Tapo camera.
2. Send the Mac address & S/N of the camera (please share via a private message).
3. Check the brand, model number, format, and capacity of the microSD card.
4. Send a picture of the microSD card or the purchase link.
5. Send the test result of the H2testw software.

Best Regards
Recommended Solution
Options
26 Reply
Re:TAPO C310 WONT FORMAT SD CARD..-Solution
2021-11-08 01:24:40 - last edited 2023-07-12 10:08:08
Update on July 12, 2023.

Hello everyone,

If you encounter the issue that can't format/initialize the microSD card successfully on the Tapo app, please refer to the suggestions here:
1. Ensure the Tapo app and the Tapo cam are up to date.

2. Refer to the below link to verify if the microSD card is fake with the H2testw software. If the test result is the microSD card is fake or bad(with errors), it may be the microSD card is damaged, and it's suggested to use a new microSD card.
How to Verify Fake Micro SD Cards?
Here is the instruction to select a microSD card for the Tapo & Kasa Cameras.

3. Turn off the camera, remove and re-insert the microSD card several times, then turn on the camera and check if the microSD card can be formatted.

4. Move the camera closer to the host router and ensure it has a good and stable connection, then try to format the microSD card.

5. Try other microSD cards in the camera if there are any.

If the issue remains, please Start a New Thread and provide more details to help look into the case further. 
1. Confirm the model, Firmware version, and Hardware version of the Tapo camera.
2. Send the Mac address & S/N of the camera (please share via a private message).
3. Check the brand, model number, format, and capacity of the microSD card.
4. Send a picture of the microSD card or the purchase link.
5. Send the test result of the H2testw software.

Best Regards
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TAPO C310 WONT FORMAT SD CARD..
2021-11-13 15:19:44
Hi I got the same problem as well :SD card unable to format. Pls do let me know how can i share photo of the SD card and error message. FYI, confirmed that the apps version and firmware version is the latest version.
Options
2021-12-29 13:14:42
is this solve? same issue here, tested 2 brands and 6 SD Cards not solve
Options
2021-12-29 13:35:30 - last edited 2021-12-29 13:36:06

Hello@jheypz 

If the SD card is an expanded SD card, it might have the issue of failing to format.

Can you help provided information request # 2 above to help isolate the issue, thank you. 

Options
2022-04-09 17:43:45

@Co0LD0wN I think this is happening recently. A lot of people have the same issues. Even I do!! It only started happening after an auto update kicked in.

Options
2022-05-28 11:05:29

Hello  @Solla-topee ,

Same problem here. After taking all steps to solve (multiple times), no change what so ever.

Where can i send the photo's to?

Options
2022-05-30 03:25:36

Hello  @Fientje101 

Thank you for the test, you could attach the photos here by click Pic icon in the community. Or you could create a link for photos via Google Drive OneDrive etc. and share the link with us via private message

Options
2022-06-05 17:24:09

@Solla-topee 

Similar problem. This is my first Tapo product using a brand new Samsung 128gb EVO Plus card bought from Argos

When the card was full, the camera stopped writing to it instead of looping and overwriting MP4 files

I now can't delete any MP4 file or reformat the card using the camera or my computer. I have trawled through the FAQs, rebooted the camera, checked firmware is up to date, downloaded and run third party software such as H2testW and even used CMD prompt to clear attributes but the SD card still appears as 'write protected' and is unusable

What is most alarming is that I received no notification from the camera that there was a problem with the SD card and have been CCTV unprotected for over 2 weeks - I only found by this situation by accident so it is just as well I wasn't burgled in the interim

I have now fitted another new SD card from Argos to maintain coverage 

Options
2022-06-17 09:08:29 - last edited 2022-06-17 09:15:11

Hello @Dystonia 

Thank you for the feedback. Can you share the the model & hardware version of the camera,  the MAC and SN number of the camera with us via private message? 

The SD card recording is state of  fast writting and rewriting on the SD card, it is encouraged to use a high enduration SD card or SD which is advertised to be suitable for the security cameras.  

Thank you for improvement suggestion of sending notification when camera found something wrong with the recording, at this time we will need to check the recordings in Playback or SD card status to tell if there is something wrong with the SD recording. I found you idea is very contructive and it is encourage to share this  Feature Request Board for Tapo so usrs who has the same request could comment and vote/thumb-up for it. 

Options
2022-07-20 17:22:34

To everyone, According this entire conversation. Tapo Link is saying We all have bad SD cards and their software or product is still GOOD.

Please turn the tables and look at your own product for a moment.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 8130

Replies: 27

Related Articles