TAPO P100 plugs hate Internet outages

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-13 12:10:13 - last edited 2021-11-13 13:30:20
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.9.0 build 20210621 rev 30941

I have 4 TAPO P100 plugs. if my Sky connection drops, even for a minute, they all drop offline. After i get them working via the app, by unplugging or even a full reset at times, I then have to mess about with Alexa to get them back online. This is a Plug specific issue TAPO?  FW ver= 1.4.9 and is the latest. Please sort this issue as users are looking at their web connection first, then being told to do full resets every time. What happened to if at first you don't connect, try again every 5 minutes or so?

A good product is spoilt by this basic failure. my hardware version is 1.20.0 - which is not available on the drop down list!

UPDATE. All of the plugs can now be used via the app, but Alexa cannot locate them. looks like a reset and starting again with the a full setup  All because the internet dropped for a minute!.

UPDATE1. I fully rest one plug. it can be controlled by the app, Alexa see's it but I only get "Light is not responding" when I try to switch it on.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TAPO P100 plugs hate Internet outages
2021-11-23 13:05:02 - last edited 2021-11-23 13:07:07

Hey @Chrisbry 

Sorry for the late reply. 

Normally smart device will try to reconnect to Internet when Internet comes back, if not: 

1. make sure Tapo device have strong signal at its location:
Tapo app-> Device Settings-> tap name of the device ->signal strength ( tap on the Wi-Fi icon to see the value of the dBm/RSSI)
(-40- 70dBm is good to average, less than -70dBm is relatively poor : relocate device or router to get stronger signal)

2. If you own a Mesh system or AP+ extender, force smart device to the closest AP or extender nodes (if router allows)  or turn off the mesh temporarily and see if that helps.

Can you also help confirm some details here if the concern persists: 
- After Internet restoration, how about the Wi-Fi Led on plug, it is Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green?

- When issue occurs,  connect phone  home WiFi at that time, can you control it in APP?

When phone is on LTE mobile data or non-local wifi, can you access it in APP? 
- Model of router (check sticker) or extender 

By the way, normally we do not need to reconfigure kasa, you could try to reboot plug or reboot router and see if that helps. 

Options
Re:TAPO P100 plugs hate Internet outages
2021-11-23 19:42:01

@Solla-topee The four devices shows -61, -44, -60, -31 so it isn't a signal strength issue and I dont have a Mesh System.

The plugs have no light on the front at all. And it is a Sky+ router.

The plugs come back online after a frew minutes, and work via the app. But Alexa does not see them until i delete them and find them again. 

The plugs should be able to allow Alexa to reconnect without that?

After the internet connetcion returns every other device in my house picks up the signal and starts working, without a router reboot.

Regards

Chris

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 484

Replies: 2