KS220M Does Not Appear to Work Properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-16 00:58:38 - last edited 2021-11-16 01:37:59
Model: KS220M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

This is kind of duplicate post for feature request https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/509600 , but I decided to post here as well due to nature of issue.

I have very positive experience with HS220, so based on feedbacks I decided to run a big project with KS220M (HW 1.0 and FW 1.0.4) and I got myself in trouble. There is two major issues which both don't allow me to proceed with project:
1. HS220 has a nice double tap and 2sec tap features to put lights 100% brightness from off state or from dimmed state - it doesn't work on KS220M. I don't believe you don't have such a nice feature consistent within the line of your products

2. KS220M when it runs on Smart Control Rule with, let say 10% brightness, and you want manually to increase brightness to 100%, as soon as you start moving brightness is reset to 10% - this is an epic failure.

3. There is no Sunrise/Sunset option for Smart control timings as well as timings can't be overlapped, so no fix can be done on that side as well.
4. There is no possibility to disable, at least temporally, Smart control motion activated action from switch and not from app - let say, for example, by 2s tap on switch in on position
5. There is no motion action reports and motion related automation for other devices.

Do you have any suggestions?

Note: No issues with sensor so far.

Options
10 Reply
Re:KS220M Does Not Appear to Work Properly
2021-11-16 13:11:17

Hello @Yokushka 

Thank you for your valuable and detailed feedback on KS220M 

1. KS220M currently does not have Double Tap/ Long Press feature, I think that would be current design for switch better overall performance.

2.  This will be optimized/fixed in the next firmware release.

3.  Sunset/Sunrise is a separate feature from Smart Control.

Sunset and Sunrise is to turn on/ off bulb according to local Sunset/ Sunrise time.  Smart Control allows you to set a trigger/ action in a certain time period.

For the time overlapping, I will need to check with our team later. 

For point 4 &5, KS220 does not support that either, I will pass your idea to appropriate team for further evaluation. 

Options
2021-11-16 14:14:37 - last edited 2021-11-16 16:31:45

@Solla-topee 
Thank you, you are as always efficient, productive and positive.

Also please note, people would like to use motion sensor in switches as a security device, register intrusions in the area, raise smart events, I know you afraid this would lower your cam sales, but do you really think people would put your cameras in bedrooms or toilets? It is why we need motion triggered actions in your KS seria switches, KS200M and KS220M. Also please consider that in many cases switches are installed in the way when action should be detected in a different area from switch location. For example, Entrance switch control action which should trigger Living room lights, but not entrance lights, and that is impossible in current implementation.

Also please note, you mentioned  "Smart Control allows you to set a trigger/ action in a certain time period." , however from customer perespective it would make a sense to to allow to program it based on sunset/sunrise events as well and other time frames should be or could be moved correspondently to avoid overlapping. Take it please as a suggestion. Also to allow smart events overlaps will need to add a priority of events in UI, which could be a complex thing to do for developers. Anyway this section is not so important and required more thinking as it can confuse regular Joe.

About item 2 from my list, if switch is manually turned on, Smart mode should be disabled untill switch is turned off 

And my usual and favorite, there is no Remote mode, when switch is always internally connecting line and load, and control lights by smart actions only and not by interrupting current. Remote mode should be disabled automatically if there is no wifi.

Thank you for your understanding

Options
2021-11-17 12:19:15

@Yokushka 

I also agree the Automation (smart action) sounds great, already recorded for evaluation.

For Sunset and Sunrise, can you let me know what you want to achieve by add sunset / sunrise in Smart Control.  What I mean is that Sunset and Sunrise is to turn on/ off device at certain time, but Smart Control is to set a time period, this does not seem to go well together to me. 

Options
2021-11-19 04:26:18

@Solla-topee 
Hi, I really apologize for delay with my answer, 
I mentioned sunset / sunrise feature in Smart Control to recognize a situation when it is going dark so different rule can be applied, but I did not take in consideration ambient sensor what you successfully integrated in KS220M. You are completely right, sunset / sunrise feature in Smart Control will confuse regular customer and, probably not worth a trouble. 

For automation I miss follow features:
1. Double tap and 2 sec tap what we discussed earlier for KS220M and which already implemented on HS220 - by buying one switch customer should be able to be familiar with all your product line
2. Option to override smart control on KS220M from switch by itself, by taps, or even better for manually selected mode to stay until switch is turned off and then Smart mode is going in effect - this is important in case if smart mode is active but customer wants something different without changing schedule. Virtually it is a way to turn off Smart mode temporally or permanently from switch by itself
3. Remote control option (actually proposed it for all switches - useful if used with smart bulbs). In remote mode line and load always closed, so you can control bulbs with automation. For security reason if wifi lost, switch disables remote control mode and works as it work now by closing and opening load/line relay. If to be honest it is what my electrician is doing now on some switches with smart light bulbs. Note: Application is throwing an error if Kasa light bulb is on Kasa switch which is interrupting power - not very user friendly.
4. Motion automation. It is important if you want to control multiple bulbs/switches from the same motion sensor or want to use Motion sensor as a part of home security in case if camera can't be installed in the area. It is where KS220M/KS200M beyond competition. For that you need to implement Motion On event and Motion Off event based on delay from last time when last motion was registered. It is what competition do. Also some competitors provide a history for motion events.

Best wishes

Options
2021-12-21 12:59:27

I agree for all is asked here, I also would like to disable the timer to override it by let say double clicking or just clicking it...

Me I have one in the stairs, so when we go in the stairs, all day its setup to open for 15 seconds then close automatically... But if I have to work let say at painting the wall in the stairs, if Im near the sensor it will keep up but if im little far it will close... If I click the button, after 15 seconds it close itself... There should be a double clicking to enable full override... 

Also would like to mess around with the sensor, so if not home, if sensor trigger, let say it could send a alert on my cell or if I enter home it could trigger what ever I want in house and not just the light...  Would like that the sensor activate If im not home that way when I enter home the lights open... This switch is in my living room and is the entry of house at same time... So If I use it as moving sensor, if I go in living room the light always open when someone move, If I watch a movie, someone move and the light go on... Would like that this one trigger only if Im not home so light open when I get home... Hope I explain myself right cause English not my primary language...

Me I had problems with 2 of my KS220m but think you correct it with the new 1.0.8 firmware... well I hope cause I had to manually close breaker to make them work again... The one that was working was the one that the firmware was not to 1.0.7 but was stuck at 1.0.7... Now all at 1.0.8... Really love your switches... Is there a maximum that I can have in the app? Think I have almost 20 Kasa switch in house lol...

Options
2021-12-25 18:34:14

Another upvote for long press and double click. These behaviors exist on other switches so it would be nice to have every switch behave the same. Easier to remember the actions when they are consistent across all Kasa switches. 

Options
2022-02-23 19:07:04

@Solla-topee Do you know if item #4 from the original post "There is no possibility to disable, at least temporally, Smart control motion activated action from switch and not from app - let say, for example, by 2s tap on switch in on position" is in the roadmap?  I am specificially asking for the ES20M.

Options
2022-03-08 02:14:42

Hello   @jpetruzz 

Thank you for your idea and created new thread for this feedback.

Currently, I do not see Manual Smart Control in our pipeline but I will raise this topic with our team again and see if that is possible. 

If any user requires the same, please leave your comment below and help describe the use-scenarios, that helps with the evaluation. e.g painting wall requires light to stay on, want to disable smart control by manually pressing the switch. 

Thank you. 

Options
2022-03-12 18:24:27 - last edited 2022-03-12 18:27:50

@Solla-topee 

A common situation is the KS220 is in our bathroom. Motion activated stays on for 10mins (which is longer than I want), but halfway thru a shower, the light will turn off & I have to reach out to trigger it again. A long press or double tap to manually override the turning off the light until turned off via switch/app would be extremely useful.

Actually, allowing the user to decide what a single/double/triple/hold touch does would be awesome.

An example of settings:
Single: 100% brightness

Double: 50% brightness

Triple: 20% brightness

Hold: disable smart control for a user definable time or until turned off at switch or via app.

I've got close to 20 Kasa devices & 10 more to install, so it's important to me!

Options
2022-04-10 23:18:41

@Solla-topee 

I have a KS200M, and I also want to use the motion sensor to trigger other Kasa devices without turning on the light. Specifically, I want to trigger some Kasa outlets to turn on when I pass by the sensor late at night.

I'd add that we should be able to specify the length of time before the motion sensor can be triggered again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 1973

Replies: 11