LED flickering when power on with HS220 smart dimmer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-18 20:42:46
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hi,

i installed several hs220 in my house. Tjhey all work properly except one which is connected to 3 ceiling pendent lights with built in led bulbs. The lights work fine. The hs220 also works fine, i am able to activate/disactivate the switch remotely and dimm the lights appropriately.

the issue i have is that when i swich on/off the lights there is a quick burst of high intensity light for a microsecond when the lights turn on and just before the lights go off.

what is causing this? I dont have this problem with other hs220, but the fictures have led potlight bulbs.

thanks for helping

Options
8 Reply
Re:LED flickering when power on with HS220 smart dimmer
2021-11-22 09:23:04

Hello @Goldbug 

Thank you for your valuable feedback, you share a video of phenomenon and the Mac address of certain HS220, you could share via private message? 

Can you let me know current below settings on HS220, did you set up Instant ON/Off ?

• Fade On/OFF settings:
  • Double Tap settings:
  • Long Press settings 

You could try to adjust above settings and see if the issue gone, thank you.  

Options
2021-11-22 13:02:21

@Solla-topee  thanks for the reply.

here is a short video showing the problem.

the first lights to lit are potlights which work fine.

The second set are the pendent lights which have the problem.

you can clearly see the burst of light when they turn on and then go to the intensity setting.

they do the sepame thing when they turn off.

File:
trim.40BD7197-FDC5-4119-AE13-740B7675629F.MOVDownload
Options
2021-11-22 23:55:03

@Solla-topee 
It looks the same as on my KS220M - all fine on all HS220. Only happens on dimmer switches. Probably you should limit dimmers from going lower than programmed minimum. I believe it could be fixed in software. Thank you

Options
2021-11-23 13:56:59

Hey @Goldbug 

Thank your very much for the video and case details.

From the video the light flickers,  if possible it is recommend to swap a different model of dimmable bulb and see if the issue with certain bulb. 

Here is guide mentioned the dimming type of HS220, it is suggested contact bulb support and see if bulb supported dimming type based on TRIAC, This is to exclude the possible incompatibility.  What should I do if the HS220 cannot dim the light properly?

Can I know the bulb model and its wattage as well, thank you. 

Options
2021-11-23 14:15:30

@Solla-topee 

i cannot change the bulb. The led bulb is fixed to the pendent light...

they are manufactured by Litonia lighting.

https://www.lightingdirect.com/lithonia-lighting-mdpb-m6-3-led-mini-pendant-bullet-fitter-fitter-only/p1952104 

the spec sheet is here: https://s2.img-b.com/lightingdirect.com/mediabase/specifications/lithonia_lighting/607505/lithonia-lighting-mdpb-m6-specsheet-80.pdf

Options
2021-11-24 02:32:25

@Goldbug 
There is possible work around, try to flip a power breaker for the line with a troubled switch for 30sec. There is a chance it could resolve light burst issue in meantime. Switch reboot button will not work in the same way.

Options
2021-11-24 15:44:47

@Yokushka 

flipped off the breaker for 30 seconds plus, flipped it back on... no change, lights still flicker when they turn on...

i understand Tp-link has opened a ticket for this problem, they will investigate this further.

Options
2022-01-24 21:39:51

@Goldbug 

update...

Exchanged a few emails with someone at TP-link support about this problem with my lithonia led pendents.

No solution to my problem.

They suspect an incompatible led buld. The problem is that the led bulb is part of the fixture and cannot be replaced.

Was told they continue to discusse possible solution.

my interpretation is that they will not fix my problem... ☹️☹️☹️

Options