Where do I post a thread about problems updating firmware through Tapo APP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-26 12:53:03 - last edited 2021-11-29 00:53:51

I have a number of Tapo devices (C200 & P100) which I have been managing through the Android Tapo APP for a long time without any problems. Today I'm experiencing problems after being told my devices need a firmware update. In the past this has been straightforward with no problems. Today I'm struggling to get firmware update for all my devices. In which forum should I post my query in as I can't locate a forum for the Tapo APP?

On a related subject, I have other TP-LINK Smart Home products but I was advised they need to be managed by the different Kasa APP. Is there not a single APP which can manage all TP-LINK Smart Home products?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Where do I post a thread about problems updating firmware through Tapo APP?
2021-11-29 07:25:15 - last edited 2021-11-29 07:25:51

Hello @Ojos 

You posted in the correct place for Tapo devices:  https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/

If you have trouble updating firmware, please check out guide here to do some basic troubleshooting: 

What to do if firmware update of my Tapo smart devices (smart plug, smart camera, smart lighting) failed?

Can you help describe the phenomena in details and help attach a photo of error for the concern.

Please also share the Mac address of Tapo device to us via private message, thank you.  

Options
2021-11-29 10:05:10

@Solla-topee 

I've got a number of C200 cameras and P100 plugs. The cameras all updated without any problems, but the plugs are currently on firmware version 1.3.4. Updating them previously caused no problems and now it tells me they need updating to 1.3.6. However when I follow the UPDATE NOW it takes me to DOWNLOADING...0% and just looks at me for a minute or so and then returns me bck to the UPDATE NOW button and if I press that again it just goes round in circles back through DOWNLOADING...0%. I can do this all day, but it never actually updates the P100 firmware or give me any failure message at all. One suggestion is to "Move the smart device closer to the router. ". The router in my case is a whole home Wifi extender and it makes no difference no matter how near rmy smart device is to that. In any event, my C200s (which are all over the house) were updated without any problem or my having to move my smart device from wehere I was sitting..

In all the years I've had my Tapo devices it's never done this before. Is there something different about the new 1.3.6 P100 firmware that prevents updating?

Options
2021-11-29 11:39:01

@Ojos Thank you for more details.

Please connect your mobile phone to Home Wi-Fi, turn VPN or mobile data off on the phone. If update firmware under local network, does that help. 

If that does not help, may I know the model of router, does plug connect to router directly or through extender?  Did you try to temporarily adjust router firewall settings, thank you. 

Options
2021-12-02 14:07:24

Solla-topee wrote

@Ojos Thank you for more details.

Please connect your mobile phone to Home Wi-Fi, turn VPN or mobile data off on the phone. If update firmware under local network, does that help. 

If that does not help, may I know the model of router, does plug connect to router directly or through extender?  Did you try to temporarily adjust router firewall settings, thank you. 

@Solla-topee 

Well the strange thing is that I haven't had to do as you suggested. A totally uinexpected thing has happened in the last few days. Looking at my P100 plugs on the Tapo app it now suddently tells me for every one of my plugs that:

"The firmware is currently up-to-date"

But the firmware is still version 1.3.4 exactly as it was last week when I was told it must be updatet to version 1.3.6. So while my firmware HAS NOT been updated at all yet I am now assured that my P100 firmware is fully up to date.

So I presume last week's so called "update" to version 1.3.6 I was told to install seems to have suddenly been cancelled by tp-link. Is there anone here who deals with firmware updates for Tapo devices that can clarify what the heck has been going on with the P100 firmware?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 603

Replies: 4