Tapo over VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tapo over VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Tapo over VPN
Tapo over VPN
2021-12-19 03:41:09
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have configured the cameras on an isolated (no internet) network and allow access only from the internal network. But when I get on the VPN the Tapo app on the phone shows all the cameras "offline". The RTSP feed is still available using VLC. 

Any idea why this happens and how to fix this? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo over VPN
2021-12-30 11:20:38

Hello @moonshine 

If camera has no internet and works locally, phone needs to be on the same local network to access camera. 

When VPN is turned ON the phone,  data goes through VPN and phone will be like on a different network and could not find tapo camera.. 

Options
2022-02-15 04:27:56
how does the app determine if "on the same network"? VPN makes the device appear to be "local" so it should work...
Options
2022-03-31 07:32:57

Hello   @moonshine 

Sorry I missed your case, when IP address of phone & camera's IP address are on the same subnet (both got IP from wifi router), they are in the same local network. 

If the phone is on VPN or using mobile data, they will be on different networks. Hope this helps explains. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2209

Replies: 4

Related Articles