C310 installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C310 installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
C310 installation
C310 installation
2021-12-29 21:53:21
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Not yet known

I plan to install a new C310 camera but am uncertain about the best way forward. The only appropriate site for it is above my garage up and over door and fitting it there will not be particularly easy.  I already have the Tapo app on my Android phone, controlling a C200 indoor camera. I realise I can install the C310 from the app but I'm not sure whether it can be installed and configured indoors and then moved to its planned outside location in due course or whether it needs to be in its intended final location on first installation. At the moment,  I don't even know how strong a Wi-Fi signal the camera will receive because it will have to be sited very close to a rather large steel girder positioned above the garage door. I believe I stand no chance of installing the camera using its ethernet port and any advice here will be gratefully received. 

johno
Options
4 Reply
Re:C310 installation
2021-12-30 02:20:54 - last edited 2021-12-30 02:21:06

Hello @John_O 

I wish I could do some help. 

1. before installing camera outside, please check if the Garage/ Door /outside area has a strong Wi-Fi signal (at least 2-3 Wi-Fi bars), otherwise you will need to relocate router or get an extender/ AP to boost signal or Ethernet. 
2. Outdoor camera like Tapo C310 has no problem being used inside the house. 
Put camera close to router, set it up in Tapo APP, then position the camera outside. 

Options
2021-12-31 12:05:42

Thanks,  @Solla-topee 

I was planning to check the WiFi signal over the garage door but only by standing on something and waving my phone around (and,  maybe,  powering it off and back on). I don't know how to check for the number of bars though. 

With my C200, the instructions were to set it up in close proximity to the router. I did this and was able to then disconnect it from the mains supply and reconnect it elsewhere. I read somewhere that the C310 doesn't have man internal battery that would allow this. It seems to me it can a bit of a leap of faith buying one of these cameras

Either way,  I'm planning on setting it up indoors initially. I just have to source a class 10 micro sd card first. 

johno
Options
2021-12-31 12:33:39

Hello @John_O 

You may need a ladder to install outdoor camera to somewhere higher, and to check Wi-Fi signal strength there.

Tapo C310 does not have an internal battery, it use a power cord around 3-meter long. 

Options
2021-12-31 23:42:56

Thanks, @Solla-topee but that's not an option.  If I was to fix the camera above the garage,  it couldn't provide a view of the front door unless I stuck it on the end of a 45° flagpole. It's beginning to look like a potential non starter for me but I'll give it a chance and see how it fares when installed indoors. 

johno
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1042

Replies: 4

Related Articles