Tapo won't connect to WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-22 12:44:10 - last edited 2022-01-25 01:10:38
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Bought new Tapo smart plugs but can't get them to connect to my home WiFi, they see the routers but then won't connect to either of them (I have a VM router and a mesh network)

I've disabled my firewall, reset the routers, checked the WPA settings are set to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, I even renamed my 2.4GHz network to make sure it wasn't accidently connecting to the 5GHz. 

I can get the plug to connect to my phone's hotspot, and whilst connected I performed a firmware update, but still encountering the same issue when connecting to the home WiFi. 

Not sure what else to try!

Thanks, 

Ollie

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo won't connect to WiFi-Solution
2022-01-24 08:36:35 - last edited 2022-01-25 01:10:38

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply, I snapshotted all settings and versions then when using the app to take a shot of the error meesage it magically started working. Perhaps it was a software issue that updated overnight. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo won't connect to WiFi
2022-01-24 03:23:42 - last edited 2022-01-24 03:24:18

Hello @yayio 

Thank you for let us know the troubleshooting steps you've tried. 

May I know the WiFi Led status on smart plug after set up, it is flashing green or red? 

• Make sure VPN is off on the phone
  • You may try a different phone if you have a different phone 

If Led is red/flashing red: 

•  Confirm the Wi-Fi password is correct. You may create a Guest Wi-Fi network with simple  SSID & Wi-Fi password, e.g SSID:  test , password 12345678. 
  • Try to temporarily turn off advanced Wi-Fi settings to help exclude the issue, like Band steering, or Mesh 

If Led is green/ flashing green:

• Check if there is any advanced setting restriction settings like Mac filtering,  access control, Whitelist, blacklist etc.

May I know the 1)  model number of the router,  firmware version of router 2)  Can I have a photo of Wi-Fi settings on the main router. 

3) At which step the tapo set-up failed, a photo of error message 3) model of phone and its Andriod or IOS version 4) Tapo APP version, thank you 

Options
Re:Tapo won't connect to WiFi-Solution
2022-01-24 08:36:35 - last edited 2022-01-25 01:10:38

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply, I snapshotted all settings and versions then when using the app to take a shot of the error meesage it magically started working. Perhaps it was a software issue that updated overnight. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo won't connect to WiFi
2022-01-24 09:52:16 - last edited 2022-01-24 09:54:08

Hello @yayio 

May I know did you get Tapo P100 connected using the Tapo APP , was the app downloaded in Google Play or APP store? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 2332

Replies: 3

Related Articles