C200 warning installation problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-26 17:05:26
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Im sure TP meant the best, after all you dont want an intruder unscrewing your cam as easy as a light bulb.  BUT the downside is that once you have screwed the back plate up and then clipped the cam into placed. It locks in place and is practicality impossible to unclip after.  I had to resort to serious brute force to rip the back plate off the underside of a shelf i was using for evaluation

TP pla look at this, I would want this kind of gried when up a ladder,  I shal make a second back plate so the mounting screw are accessible outside the shell - bad news.

ps for the C110 I just drilled through the plate and mounted screws easy accessible, not so neat but i could put a white cap on top i suppose.

Options
4 Reply
Re:C200 warning installation problem
2022-01-27 01:46:01 - last edited 2022-01-27 01:53:52

Hello @Robintes 

Thank you for your suggestion and idea!

If you try to clip / unclip the camera from the baseplate, try to rotate camera Clockwise/ Anticlockwise and see if that helps 

For newly designed camera base, you could use an icon to help unclip the camera, please check instruction here for details. 

How to Mount Your Tapo Pan & Tilt Camera to a Wall

Options
2022-01-27 03:42:29 - last edited 2022-01-27 04:18:14

@Solla-topee 

Well yes that is the armchair explanation but I spent half an hour trying to unlatch it before getting destructive - this is not an acceptable design - especially up a ladder.  - just warn all your customers

Of course the simple way I found was to scrape off the little pimples that catch the clip together first which then prevents unlocking - 2min job - and it works - just warn your customers

In fact this is so important I would put a special leaflet in the packing - remove dimples first

I think it is intuitive that you unscrew counter-clockwise, but I suppose a sticky label arrow might be needed - no need to change the mold

Another point about the clip is that I had to drill out holes 4mm to accept a standard self tapping woodscrews PLUS I needed to make a countersink to accept the screw head to be flush or the assembly wouldn't go together. Very convenient if mounting in a ceiling!!!!!!!!!!!

Think out of the box

A home diy installer will thank me for this

PS I just tried my other c200, thank goodness I had only secured it to a wooden base for evaluation.  I took some heavy mucsle to prise the cam off the base

If I had used the full two screws !!!!!!!!!!!!!  I would have to use a hacksaw  - think of it like a door lock, once shut you cant open it without a key

Once the cam is locked in place YOU CANT UNLOCK IT

Options
2022-01-28 01:50:41 - last edited 2022-01-28 01:53:16

Hello @Robintes 

'Of course the simple way I found was to scrape off the little pimples that catch the clip together first which then prevents unlocking - 2min job - and it works - ' 

Thank you for sharing the workaround here, as far as I know the base design on cameras has now improved, on new design, we could use a coin to help unclip the camera as guide and video here. I will check if that is  added in the manual.  

Personally, I think removing the little points on the base camera would make camera unclip too easy, some user may worry about that.  I appreciate your suggestions with camera design and warning, I will pass along your suggestion to appropriate team that for evaluation. 

If anyone has the same concern, please feel to leave your comment & suggestions below, that will help with the evaluation, thank you. 

Options
2022-01-28 04:43:36 - last edited 2022-01-28 04:49:39

@Solla-topee 

Once again the armchair solution - I challenge you to actually try yourself screwing the C200 base to a piece of wood with both screws and then clip the camera in place, Then try and unscrew it. 

IMHO nothing short of a sledge hammer would dislodge the camera

That video DOES not reflect reality. The coin method is no use when the base has been screwed to the wall. You are speculating from the comfort of your armchair

Imagine you bought a car and found that when you put the wheel on with locking nuts (like your camera system)  then found the only way to remove the wheel was to use an angle grinder - how would the automotive press take this level of incompetence

So please for the sake of your customers dont treat this matter trivially

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 566

Replies: 4