Tapo Camera App Lags

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tapo Camera App Lags

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Tapo Camera App Lags
Tapo Camera App Lags
2022-02-02 00:44:31
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm using the Tapo app to monitor four Tapo C200 cameras.

When viewing one camera at a time, there is a delay of 2-5 seconds, which is acceptable.

When I use the grid view to see all 4 views, all of the cameras take about 1.5 seconds to tick 1 second. In other words, the delay becomes extreme and after a short amount of time watching, the camera feeds are several minutes behind.

It's not the cameras themselves, because I can check their feeds with a second device and they display fine. The problem is with the Tapo app.

If it can't keep up with the cameras, it's functionally useless as an app. Even if it has to drop frames in order to keep up, it really should remain within just a few seconds delay at most.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo Camera App Lags
2022-02-09 07:01:29 - last edited 2022-02-09 07:17:14

Hello @osarusan 

Thank you for your valuable feedback. 

Please confirm Tapo APP and camera firmware are both up to date.

If connect phone to home Wi-Fi network, is there any delay when stream in 4 views in the local network? 

Please try a different mobile device to stream camera in 4 views and see if that makes any difference.

Can I know 1) Kasa APP version 2) model of phone , and its Andriod or IOS version 3) can you share a video link showing the delay when stream in 4 views? 

Did you use other third party software to stream 4 cameras at the same time and has no problem? 

To better assist with your case, we like to create a support email and escalate case, please check your inbox later, thank you

Options
2022-02-09 07:59:43

@Solla-topee Thanks for the reply.

Here is the information you requested:

1) Tapo App version: 2.4.56 (Android)

2) Device model is HUAWEI MediaPad T5, Android version 8.0.0

3) Video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zVmfXTF66nuLxPgi9

When I watch 1 or 2 cameras, I have no problem viewing.

When I watch 4 cameras, they play at a slower rate. After about 10 minutes, the cameras have a 3-4 minute delay. After 20 minutes, the delay is over 7 minutes.

This issue only happens in the Tapo app on my Android device. I can view the cameras using iSpy or other software on my PC & other devices with no issues.

Options
2022-02-09 08:22:33

Hello @osarusan 

Thank you very much for more case details! As the case looks unusual, I would like to escalate your case through support email TKID220210479 to investigate further. Please check your inbox later~

Options
2022-02-10 16:56:46

osarusan wrote

I'm using the Tapo app to monitor four Tapo C200 cameras.

When viewing one camera at a time, there is a delay of 2-5 seconds, which is acceptable.

When I use the grid view to see all 4 views, all of the cameras take about 1.5 seconds to tick 1 second. In other words, the delay becomes extreme and after a short amount of time watching, the camera feeds are several minutes behind.

It's not the cameras themselves, because I can check their feeds with a second device and they display fine. The problem is with the Tapo app.

If it can't keep up with the cameras, it's functionally useless as an app. Even if it has to drop frames in order to keep up, it really should remain within just a few seconds delay at most.

@osarusan 

I have had exactly the same problem only worse and I have spent days trying to work around the problem

my conclusions so far is that the Tapo app is unstable on anything other than a single camera single view

The Mod ST has not acknowledged the issue and prefers to blame it on the customers networks

my network is as clean as possible

This is a fundamental problem and for security purpose if you cant rely on the system staying in live view 24/7 and keeping timestamp (within a few seconds) then its not fit for purpose

You cant view cameras without inet connection

I put 64G sd cards and go for local storage continuously

I turn off motion detection - hundreds of false alarms, but I have found the line crossing (only on C310) useful

see my rants with Tapo Mod Robintes

Options
2022-02-10 17:23:12

@osarusan 

OBTW check my post on C200 warning

you may find it impossible as i did that once you have clicked the camera in place on its base plate its impossible to remove without serious damage, see my remedy BEFORE you instal

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 3681

Replies: 5

Related Articles