Votes

Integrate Tapo with Kasa Subscription

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-12 09:17:20 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

How do we integrate the Tapo cameras with a Kasa subscription. I have multiple Kasa cameras under a paid subscription many of which are still under warranty 

As Kasa has been discontinued, how do we add a Tapo camera to this subscription?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Integrate Tapo with Kasa Subscription -Solution
2022-06-01 00:28:37 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

@WhiteRoseAl @Maniac2000 

The team saw feedback across various platforms and wanted me to help clarify any misunderstandings or questions regarding the Tapo and Kasa services. I believe the root of the misunderstanding is that although TP-Link is the parent company of both smart home brands, Kasa and Tapo smart home brands, they do exist in their own ecosystems. While they may sometimes appear similar in product lines and features, or even on the same forum they each have their own goals for product development.

This is similar to Blink and Ring; all of which focus on home security or automation, and are owned by the same parent company, Amazon. These ecosystems are not compatible with each other either; nor are they necessarily meant to be.

While the two were designed to be different ecosystems; we are always looking for ways to improve the user experience. We have already passed these suggestions along to our Product Team to see if it would be even technically feasible to include this feature in future updates to the platforms. Unfortunately, development across teams and projects in any organization is difficult, and nothing can be guaranteed. The best that I can say is that it is important to keep up to date with the latest news from both your brand of choice and TP-Link to be the first to learn of new features and brand offerings.

For this reason, features, technologies, and security systems that are implemented into each ecosystem are meant to provide the user with the best experience while using that service. This can have unfortunate consequences for development requests that require two products that aren't compatible at a technical level to work with each other.

As a result, users that wish to use one ecosystem in tandem with another will turn to third parties to communicate with their devices; such as Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, or Alexa. However, this still means that they may have to pay for each account or device for which you would like to have all the features unlocked in the Kasa or Tapo app.

The last thing we ever want is a customer who is unhappy with their purchase or immediately experiences buyers' regret; so it's important that we take any steps possible to prevent similar miscommunications in the future. This is where users like you can improve the experience for others, and can provide feedback from a perspective that we at the company do not have easy access to.

Here are some quick questions that can give the team an idea of where we can improve our communication with users on the topic:

• Where did you go to search for the answer?
  • Where did you find the answer?
  • Where would have expected to find the answer?
  • How could this information be better communicated before purchase?
  • Where were you led to believe that the products would work together?
  • Is there any further feedback that you would like to give to the teams?

There are many many exciting developments when it comes to Smart Homes and the IoT; both on the inside of the company and outside the company. If you're interested in some of the technical aspects of how IoT communication will be changing over the next few years, I would highly recommend researching the companies creating and supporting the Matter Protocol, and how matter may play into your lives in the future.

Also @WhiteRoseAl - make sure you look at multiple sellers to find stock of specific cameras, such as the TP-Link Official Store and on Amazon.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Integrate Tapo with Kasa Subscription
2022-02-17 07:51:34 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

Hi @WhiteRoseAl 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Tapo care and kasa care they are independent service. Currently there is no way to add a Tapo camera to kasa care subscription.

Options
2022-02-17 08:37:22 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for responding, do TP-Link have a plan for this integration to happen?

Otherwise TP-Link will have offered terrible customer service for the thousands of users on Kasa Care plans.

Options
2022-05-26 18:47:12 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

@Solla-topee 

Are you serious... You really need to fix that. You're going to get thousands of people buying your Tapo products ho have Kasa care.. thinking it's still the same ecosystem... then having find out they have to pay for completely other ecosystem... Umm 🤔 bad move... 

I've got quite a few of your guys's cameras with kasa care... And I just recently bought some 2K cameras.. however from this point forward I am rethinking my decision on trusting you guys if you're going to split your ecosystem and make it so confusing.. 

I hope you still plan on supporting Kasa for years to come.

And I would really recommend on merging the two during any sort of transition if that's your plan... Like come on TP Link don't be lazy.. stop it... 

Solla-topee wrote

Hi @WhiteRoseAl 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Tapo care and kasa care they are independent service. Currently there is no way to add a Tapo camera to kasa care subscription.

Options
2022-05-27 03:05:28 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

Hello  @Maniac2000 

Thank you for the feedback, Tapo Care and Kasa care are two independent services, but I'd share your feedback here with our team for evaluation. 

Anyone else has the same request, it is encouraged to leave your comment and share the user case or  scenarios here and let us know how  this feature will help in your case e.g. have both Tapo and kasa cameras, and wish to add tapo camera in Kasa care premium plan.

That will helps understand your request better and helps with  the evaluation.

Thank you again for your time with the improvement suggestions. 

*This post will be marked as ' solution' temporarily so the new members could get this information in full and provide additional feedback. Appreciated for your understanding.

Options
2022-05-27 08:18:58 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

@Solla-topee really need the integration and TP Link made a big mistake in not offering this from the start.

Multiple Kasa cameras all in excellent working condition and under 24 months old, need to add more cameras and only Tapo is available. Why would I want to pay for 2 separate subscriptions?

TP Link, please sort this out 

Options
Re:Integrate Tapo with Kasa Subscription -Solution
2022-06-01 00:28:37 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

@WhiteRoseAl @Maniac2000 

The team saw feedback across various platforms and wanted me to help clarify any misunderstandings or questions regarding the Tapo and Kasa services. I believe the root of the misunderstanding is that although TP-Link is the parent company of both smart home brands, Kasa and Tapo smart home brands, they do exist in their own ecosystems. While they may sometimes appear similar in product lines and features, or even on the same forum they each have their own goals for product development.

This is similar to Blink and Ring; all of which focus on home security or automation, and are owned by the same parent company, Amazon. These ecosystems are not compatible with each other either; nor are they necessarily meant to be.

While the two were designed to be different ecosystems; we are always looking for ways to improve the user experience. We have already passed these suggestions along to our Product Team to see if it would be even technically feasible to include this feature in future updates to the platforms. Unfortunately, development across teams and projects in any organization is difficult, and nothing can be guaranteed. The best that I can say is that it is important to keep up to date with the latest news from both your brand of choice and TP-Link to be the first to learn of new features and brand offerings.

For this reason, features, technologies, and security systems that are implemented into each ecosystem are meant to provide the user with the best experience while using that service. This can have unfortunate consequences for development requests that require two products that aren't compatible at a technical level to work with each other.

As a result, users that wish to use one ecosystem in tandem with another will turn to third parties to communicate with their devices; such as Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, or Alexa. However, this still means that they may have to pay for each account or device for which you would like to have all the features unlocked in the Kasa or Tapo app.

The last thing we ever want is a customer who is unhappy with their purchase or immediately experiences buyers' regret; so it's important that we take any steps possible to prevent similar miscommunications in the future. This is where users like you can improve the experience for others, and can provide feedback from a perspective that we at the company do not have easy access to.

Here are some quick questions that can give the team an idea of where we can improve our communication with users on the topic:

• Where did you go to search for the answer?
  • Where did you find the answer?
  • Where would have expected to find the answer?
  • How could this information be better communicated before purchase?
  • Where were you led to believe that the products would work together?
  • Is there any further feedback that you would like to give to the teams?

There are many many exciting developments when it comes to Smart Homes and the IoT; both on the inside of the company and outside the company. If you're interested in some of the technical aspects of how IoT communication will be changing over the next few years, I would highly recommend researching the companies creating and supporting the Matter Protocol, and how matter may play into your lives in the future.

Also @WhiteRoseAl - make sure you look at multiple sellers to find stock of specific cameras, such as the TP-Link Official Store and on Amazon.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-06-01 06:18:42 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

Hi  @Riley_S 

Thank you for the response, whilst I understand the setup of parent companies and subsidiaries, the issue I face is that I pay a monthly subscription for the Kasa Range to which products have discontinued.

If one of my many cameras fails, I would have no choice but to purchase a Tapo camera with another subscription running in tandem with Kasa Care.

The alternative for a failed camera is to replace all my camera's with Tapo when my current cameras are under 2 years old. The is a large financial outlay 

This is a really poor customer experience which reflects against the TP-LINK brand. A trade in, subscription offer or product transition should be offered 

Options
2022-06-23 15:03:04 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

Ok. I very rarely react on topics like this but at this time I have to. So this is more than confusing. As a Kasa user for years now I am sure that there's no TP-link smart home device user who thought that Kasa and Tapo will NOT work together. Wanted to buy some Tapo cameras, plugs and bulbs but luckily I was careful to collect some infos before I bought them. I googled for the answer for 2 hours and accidentally (and luckily) have found your post. In the google articles seems no one really knows what is the difference between the two, if there's any. Personally I thought Kasa is over, Tapo replacing it. Well nope. You should focus much more on communication with your customers in the future for sure. amazon.de -> There is not a single info near TP-Link Tapo products that those do not work with Kasa Care accounts and with the app -> misleading info for Kasa users (if no one mention in the description that Tapo DOES NOT compatible with Kasa app and products) amazon.de, general search -> typing Kasa to searchbar but not a single Kasa product pops up, only Tapo -> misleading info for Kasa users (it made me think Kasa replaced by Tapo) amazon.de, TP-Link Tapo Store -> it's name Tapo store (sidenote: NOT Kasa store) -> there is no a single Kasa product -> misleading info for Kasa users (it made me think Kasa replaced by Tapo) amazon.de, TP-Link Store -> another TP-link store on amazon what is very confusing -> there is no a single Kasa product, and however this is not the amazon TP-Link Tapo Store there are ONLY Tapo products -> misleading info for Kasa users (it made me think Kasa replaced by Tapo) But I go forward. The most confusing info is on your own TP-Link website. Main page -> smart home -> camera, smart plugs, smart bulbs. Then wherever I click there are ONLY Tapo products. Not a single Kasa item. Ops, there is a Kasa button...BUT IT DOES NOT LEAD ANYWHERE. It is a dead button. So what do Kasa Care users think after seeing all of these above? "Well....they replaced Kasa products with Tapo so I will buy Tapo." -> misleading info for Kasa users (it made me think Kasa replaced by Tapo) Every info on the web - including TP-Link official website - make me think "ok, Tapo is the new name of Kasa (often happens that companies chose a different name for the same product), so I buy Tapo in the future and I will merge the 'same' product into one app." In the Kasa app what we used from the beginning. And you just made me realize now how we, Kasa Care users are so wrong. This mess I described above is definitely NOT the german way of making quality products and offering quality service. What I think....you simply discontinued Kasa and try to keep this info hidden from from all the customers who invested hell a lot money into these Kasa products in the past years. That's it. I am not sure if I will buy more Kasa, or Tapo products. If this is the service what this company can offer to its users I will chose some other product in the future.

Options
2022-06-23 22:24:47 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:06:13

@Yrsa I couldn't agree more

TP Link should be ashamed of not integrating their two CCTV brands.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2230

Replies: 9

Voters 1