TAPO account keeps disconnecting from Google Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-26 09:46:20 - last edited 2022-05-18 10:09:17
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.10 Build 20211104 Rel. 35882

I have 6 Tapo P100 plugs connected to my Google Home. Every once in a while, about once every couple weeks, Google Home tells me it can't connect to Tapo, and I simply [Reconnect account] from my Google Home Assistant Home Control settings. This fixes the problem and it works fine until it disconnects again.

Today, Google Home says it can't connect to Tapo, so I went through the reconnect procedure as described above, but this time it won't even make the connection. All my devices work fine from the Tapo App, and I checked the account ID and password for Tapo on Google Home, and there's nothing wrong there.

What causes such problem?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:TAPO account keeps disconnecting from Google Home-Solution
2022-04-27 01:50:19 - last edited 2022-05-24 09:03:02

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the feedback, if you experience some issue using Tapo device in Google home APP, here are some tips that may helps with your case. 

1. Please connect phone to home Wi-Fi network and see if see you could access tapo device in Google home APP. 

2. Confirm the Google Home APP is up-to-date 

3. Confirm Tapo device firmware and Tapo APP are both up to date

4. Take a photo of error message in Google APP when you report this issue 

5. Contact Google Support  to assist with the issue at the same time, this will help locate the cause faster and helps solve it. 

If the same issue persists, to help isolate the issue, please also help confirm some information here 

• A photo of Error message 
  • Model of your phone and its Andriod or IOS version 
  • Please help describe the issue as detailed as possible and let us know Time when that happens

.e.g. UTC+1 8AM  Google home app can not connect to Tapo,error xxx  , this happen every a few hours google home APP 

•  Google home  APP version
  •  Router's model .e.g. ISP spectrum -router <wireless>Tapo plug; Router <Wireless>google hub 
  • When issue happens, please check if you could control device in Tapo APP remotely when phone in on LTE mobile data, does this work fine
  • Mac address of smart plug (please share by private message)

Note: this post will temporarily be marked as the 'recommended solution‘ of this thread ,so more of you could notice the information in full and provide further feedback

Thank you for your understanding. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-31 03:21:03 - last edited 2022-06-07 02:55:47

@Jubat @m1tch3m  @Lunicycle   @YellowVette

@Bob5 @mdodds 

2022/05 Update 

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your valuable feedback! Really appreciate your patience while our team interstage on this, here are some update with the concern you reported 

Problem Description :Tapo device disconnects from Google  and become ' Offline ' in Google Home APP after a few days , relink Tapo account in Google app could temporarily fix this

Model: Tapo Plug & Tapo bulb in Andriod Tapo APP 

Solution/Fix:  Fixed Android Tapo APP 2.8.8 and  later app version

For Android user, please update your Tapo App in Google Play/ APP store (this app is gradually pushed to tapo users, you could wait for some days if you did not see this app update )

Feel free to let us know for any further observation, thank you!

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:TAPO account keeps disconnecting from Google Home
2022-04-26 23:05:11

@YellowVette 

Also getting the exact same problem

Options
2022-04-27 01:50:19 - last edited 2022-05-24 09:03:02

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the feedback, if you experience some issue using Tapo device in Google home APP, here are some tips that may helps with your case. 

1. Please connect phone to home Wi-Fi network and see if see you could access tapo device in Google home APP. 

2. Confirm the Google Home APP is up-to-date 

3. Confirm Tapo device firmware and Tapo APP are both up to date

4. Take a photo of error message in Google APP when you report this issue 

5. Contact Google Support  to assist with the issue at the same time, this will help locate the cause faster and helps solve it. 

If the same issue persists, to help isolate the issue, please also help confirm some information here 

• A photo of Error message 
  • Model of your phone and its Andriod or IOS version 
  • Please help describe the issue as detailed as possible and let us know Time when that happens

.e.g. UTC+1 8AM  Google home app can not connect to Tapo,error xxx  , this happen every a few hours google home APP 

•  Google home  APP version
  •  Router's model .e.g. ISP spectrum -router <wireless>Tapo plug; Router <Wireless>google hub 
  • When issue happens, please check if you could control device in Tapo APP remotely when phone in on LTE mobile data, does this work fine
  • Mac address of smart plug (please share by private message)

Note: this post will temporarily be marked as the 'recommended solution‘ of this thread ,so more of you could notice the information in full and provide further feedback

Thank you for your understanding. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-29 02:50:38

@YellowVette As checked from the log based on your email registered to the community, tapo has successfully linked with Google now, can I know when did you first time use Google, is it in April or before that or do you have more specific date? If next issue occurs, can you help provide some information above, and share the time when issue occurs and a photo of error. Please also check my private message. thank you.

Options
2022-05-01 00:04:30

@YellowVette been having the exact same problem.

Devices going offline in Google Home, but working fine in the Tapo app.

Reconnecting the account restores the Tapo link with Google Home but breaks again after a few days. Been happening for months..

Options
2022-05-10 19:05:32

@YellowVette 

This keeps happening to me every 2 or 3 days. I got these because they were on offer. Have a couple of Kasa ones that look identical but have never had to reconnect in about 2 years. If no update and improvements will return

Options
2022-05-17 22:41:06

This is happening with a pair of to link smart plugs I bought for my parents (P100). Every few days Google assistant can't reach them.

I get the same symptoms, the devices work in the tapo app but need reconnecting within the Google home app. 

It's really bothering me because my parents think they've broken something when it happens.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

Options
2022-05-18 10:05:57 - last edited 2022-05-18 10:11:07

Hello  @Jubat @m1tch3m  @Lunicycle   thank you for the feedback, your case has been forward to our team,  to help isolate the issue, can you help provide some case details here

It is also  recommended to reach Google Support  this may could solve the problem faster if both sides could start some investigation together. 

1) A photo of Error message next time this happens
2) Please help describe the issue as detailed as possible and let us know Time when that happens
.e.g. UTC+1 8AM  Google home app can not connect to Tapo,error xxx  , this happen every a few days  google home APP 

3) Google home  APP version

Options
2022-05-18 20:31:31

@Solla-topee this is happening to me too. Every few days there the tapo disconnects from Google home and I have to re link the account. I use Google nest to activate it and it says "I'm sorry the tapo is unavailable right now".  But this is the voice assistant 

If you look at the screenshot below, shelves lamp is a Kasa lamp. The bedside lamp is Tapo and it is just greyed out. I can turn it on and off using the tapo app but no error message comes up with the Google home app. I just can't change it. Until I relink the talk account. When I do that, it will stop working again in a few days. 

Options
2022-05-18 22:11:25

@mdodds 

Exactly the same for me.  I think this may be linked to password issues and not being logged on to either Tapo, Kasa or Deco accounts. My pw manager treats them all as disperate things but it turns out they all share one TP account. It is very difficult to reset password because instructions on pw requirements are wrong it will not take a 32 char password with characters numbers and symbols! It is very frustrating trying to set a long complex password, perhaps someone from TP could tell the real parameters!

Options
2022-05-19 03:04:54

Hello  @Lunicycle 

Can you share a photo of error message & time when issue occurs? This helps us check the activity of the device at that time and understand the problem better. 

For you inferred,  if you have not changed TP-Link ID password, the Tapo credential (account and password) still works in Google home APP. So the password manager does not seem to be the cause of the issue. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 9

Views: 3151

Replies: 14

Related Articles