bug with internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

bug with internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
bug with internet
bug with internet
2022-05-27 16:31:14
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a tapo c200 which is generally very good. I found a bug with is 100% reproducible.

1) I reset the camera by removing its power and restoring it.

2) check through Internet (not Wifi) and all is well.

3) Power down and power up my Internet connection.

4) Under Wifi, the camera works. Under Internet it reports off-line

5) Do another tapo power down, power up and all is well both via Internet as well as Wifi.

In other words, if the connection to the Internet is interupted, the camera fails to restore the connection.

A camera reset is the only solution.

Since the camera is important, in case of an emergency, I would appreciate a bug fix.

My question is: is there a way to update the software after the bug is fixed?

Thanks,

Ilan

P.S. Where do I find the Hardware and Firmware versions?

Options
7 Reply
Re:bug with internet
2022-06-22 01:20:22 - last edited 2022-06-22 06:39:30

Hello @IlanTal 

Thank you for the report, Tapo smart device will try to reconnect to WiFi network and get services after Wi-Fi is interrupted and comes back,  if that's not the case, that could be related to Wi-Fi network environment or how router handles the requests from smart devices.

-It is recommended to consider a UPS to provide consistent power for the router when there is an outage 

- Here are some other  tips to try: 

• Reboot your smart device first and see if connection recovers
  • Try to reserve an IP address on router settings for the MAC address of smart device

Change router DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

• Ensure camera firmware and Tapo APP are both up to date

If still the same,  may I know the

1. Model of router (better notes firmware of router) and your network topology: e.g. ISP Spectrum-Archer C7 router<Wireless> Tapo device

Is it a Mesh  network, or router + extender 

2. Please enable Diagnose mode for cameras and help collect the log when internet is down and comes back 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera?

3. MAC address of camera ,please share via private message, thank you 

Options
2022-06-22 04:39:24

@IlanTal 

Thanks for the reply. I have filed a bug report on this issue.

My test showed me that the wifi connection IS restored, since the local connection when I am at home, works with no problem.

What does NOT work is the Internet connection. When my daughter in Tel Aviv tries to access the camera, she will see "off line".

At the same time, all works perfectly OK when I work locally through the wifi.

When I power down the camera and power it back up, THEN the internet connection is again restored.

There is no graceful reconnection to the Internet from the camera.

Options
2022-06-22 04:55:29

@IlanTal

I forgot to answer your question on the router.

The router is a device which I pay a monthly fee directly to my ISP.

The ISP is Hot, but this company is known only in Israel.

I'm sure Hot is using standard equipment and the bottom line is the wifi DOES work.

The camera, and other wireless devices, pick up the same local IP addresses upon router power down, power up.

That part works with no problems.

The only piece which is missing is the graceful reconnection of the camera to the Internet.

To reconnect the camera to the Internet it is necessary to power down, power up the camera itself.

Options
2022-06-22 05:15:55

@IlanTal 

I also forgot to answer your point on the UPS.

The problem is not one of losing power.

What happens, I am guessing at this point, is that from time to time Hot has problems and they need to reset the connection.

I lose service for some period of time, but if this happens at a point when I am not using the computer I am not even aware of a problem.

This is exactly my real problem. When I wake up and turn on my computer all is perfectly OK.

(The router is always on and always has connection to the Internet.)

I power up my telephone as well when I wake up. If I test the camera, I will be using the wifi and all is well.

On the other hand my daughter in Tel Aviv will see "off line" if there has been an interruption in the Internet service.

So I don't know that she has a problem until she tells me. In short, wifi works, Internet is "off line".

The problem is not the electricity in my home, i.e. UPS, but rather a temporary problem with the ISP.

With cyber attacks on the rise, it is not terribly surprising.

Options
2022-06-22 06:29:54 - last edited 2022-06-22 06:37:17

@IlanTal 

Thank you very much for more case details. I noticed you have created a support email TKID220618277

Can you help reproduce this and help collect camera log, this may help to find out what is affecting/blocking Camera to get cloud services after Internet is down and back on. 

Please enable Diagnose mode for cameras and help collect the log when internet is down and comes back 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera?

May I know the model of the Hot router or  you might take photo of the label on router to help see the model number, thank you. 

Besides, you could try the above tips like reserving an IP address for camera on router 's web page,  and adjust router DNS settings to 8.8.8.8/ 8.8.4.4 which might help with the situation. 

Options
2022-06-22 06:38:02

@IlanTal 

Lastly, I need to answer your log file request.

I went into the camera settings and see I have no microSD card.

Thus I cannot activate the log feature.

At the same time I see there is an auto reboot option.

I turned this on to reboot each day at 3:00- 3:30 AM.

Presumably auto reboot does the same thing as power down-power up on the camera.

Thus, whether or not there has been an interruption in Internet service, every night the camera will reboot itself.

This will most likely solve my problem.

Options
2022-06-22 06:46:51 - last edited 2022-06-22 06:48:16

Hello  @IlanTal 

Rebooting the camera regularly sounds like a workaround, thank you for the sharing. 

Thank you for time with troubleshooting, we will keep on eye on similar feedback. 

If any user experience similar concern, try to reproduce the issue and share the log file of camera and let us know the model of router, thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 304

Replies: 7

Related Articles