Monitors switching off and on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-14 19:22:43
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

Hi,

Just installed 5 P110 devices around my house.  One of them is installed on my office PC setup.

today when I was working around 4 or 5 times over the course of 5 hours, both of my monitors powered off and back on.

I removed the P110 and for the next 3 hours and the problem didn't return.  This behaviour also never happened before.

I don't have a lot plugged into the device only -

Dell USB3 Docking Station

2x Benq 24" monitors

Dell Latitude Laptop

External HD

HP LaserJet Printer (Didn't use it today at all)

I don't think this is overloaded.  It only shows around 60w when all powered on.

any idea what could be causing this?

thanks

paul

Options
3 Reply
Re:Monitors switching off and on
2022-06-15 10:02:07 - last edited 2022-06-15 10:11:31

@Pj000001 

Thank you for your detailed post.

Do you mean  two PC monitors are plugged into the two Tapo P110, and the monitors power Off and ON? 

Can you help describe how the monitor power on and off in details,  do you mean monitor lose power and get power immediately? 

- Please connect your Monitor to a wall power socket and test performance

- Only connect one PC Monitor to Tapo smart plug and see if issue persists

- Test a different Tapo P110

- What the model of PC monitor and its wattage? 

If Smart Plug itself turn OFF and On randomly:

try to check if you have set up Shortcut/ Automation settings 

Turn off other third party apps that might have a chance of affecting smart device behavior

If  this occurs again, try factory reset  tapo smart plug, in factory default state (Wi-Fi Led flash amber and green), does it still turn on/ off or reboot?

Options
2022-06-15 19:01:28

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

All of the appliances are connected to othe same P110.

when the monitors both switch off, the rest of the equipment stays on.  I suspect the Dell dock is dropping out somehow which makes the monitors turn off and on.

Today, I swapped the P110 out for another one and it didn't happen once so I guess something is wrong with the first P110 I tried.

I will open a warranty claim.

thanks

paul.

Options
2022-06-17 07:31:39

Hello  @Pj000001 

Thank you for detailed information,  it does not seem to be an issue with smart plug but more likely something relates to the ' middle' device between tapo plug and the monitor. 

Smart Plug is a relay to cut power and provide power to all connected devices. In your case, only certain Devices like PC monitor powers off, but other device gets power. 

From your description, you have smart plug --- --USB hub ----PC monitors,  i'd recommend to check if USB hub could provide enough power to the connected devices. 

Hope this helps. 

Options