Slow/Unresponsive Requests to toggle P100 via Google Home
I have P100 plugs setup and now and then I find that the plugs just fail to respond via Google home requests. I can ask Google to turn on the plug and it might take 10-15 seconds to turn on. Sometimes it just wont turn on at all. I have Tapo bulbs which work perfectly and I have some Meross smart plugs which also work perfectly. The Tapo P100 plugs are the issue.
I have checked the Wifi signal and the plugs impacted have full bars with -42 RSSI showing as the signal strength.
If i use the Tapo app, the response is always instant. From what I gather, the app does not make requests over the internet when it is on the same wifi network. So this would be local control. This means that the wifi signal is not the issue as local control works flawlessly but when the request is made through the internet, via Google Home it does not work.
I called my ISP and they checked my network and didn't see any configuration issues. They didn't see anything wrong in the event logs either. Perhaps I need to open some ports or whitelist some IP addresses for Tapo P100 plugs to work correctly?
Why is it that Tapo bulbs work fine but P100 plugs do not? Wouldn't requests come from the same source and be more or less the same, just directed to a different device?
I see other posts on this forum relating to the p100 plugs and the firmware version is 1.4.5 is the latest firmware for this plug. When I go into the tapo app and go to firmware update, it tells me "the firmware is currently up-to-date. Enjoy!". This is clearly not the case if the plugs are running firmware 1.0.5. The plugs being so far out of date could very well be the issue here but if i cant update them, how do i resolve this?
I have tried calling tapo support and using the live chat support on top of emails. I feel like i could type absolutely anything into the emails as i seem to get a copy and paste response every time that ignores any questions or suggestions I provide. Chat support and phone support say that I can only get help via email. Its going nowhere at this point. While this may not be the fault of the Tapo network, the reason for the failure should be logged either by the tapo network when it tries to make a request to my home network to turn the plug on/off or logged by the plug itself. None of this debug information is available to me and nobody seems willing to even entertain the idea of looking into this to debug the issue.