Slow/Unresponsive Requests to toggle P100 via Google Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-15 09:56:21 - last edited 2022-06-22 13:28:22
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 210615 Rel. 135441

I have P100 plugs setup and now and then I find that the plugs just fail to respond via Google home requests. I can ask Google to turn on the plug and it might take 10-15 seconds to turn on. Sometimes it just wont turn on at all. I have Tapo bulbs which work perfectly and I have some Meross smart plugs which also work perfectly. The Tapo P100 plugs are the issue.

I have checked the Wifi signal and the plugs impacted have full bars with -42 RSSI showing as the signal strength.

If i use the Tapo app, the response is always instant. From what I gather, the app does not make requests over the internet when it is on the same wifi network. So this would be local control. This means that the wifi signal is not the issue as local control works flawlessly but when the request is made through the internet, via Google Home it does not work.

I called my ISP and they checked my network and didn't see any configuration issues. They didn't see anything wrong in the event logs either. Perhaps I need to open some ports or whitelist some IP addresses for Tapo P100 plugs to work correctly?

Why is it that Tapo bulbs work fine but P100 plugs do not? Wouldn't requests come from the same source and be more or less the same, just directed to a different device?

Edit

I see other posts on this forum relating to the p100 plugs and the firmware version is 1.4.5 is the latest firmware for this plug. When I go into the tapo app and go to firmware update, it tells me "the firmware is currently up-to-date. Enjoy!". This is clearly not the case if the plugs are running firmware 1.0.5. The plugs being so far out of date could very well be the issue here but if i cant update them, how do i resolve this?

Edit 2

I have tried calling tapo support and using the live chat support on top of emails. I feel like i could type absolutely anything into the emails as i seem to get a copy and paste response every time that ignores any questions or suggestions I provide. Chat support and phone support say that I can only get help via email. Its going nowhere at this point. While this may not be the fault of the Tapo network, the reason for the failure should be logged either by the tapo network when it tries to make a request to my home network to turn the plug on/off or logged by the plug itself. None of this debug information is available to me and nobody seems willing to even entertain the idea of looking into this to debug the issue.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Slow/Unresponsive Requests to toggle P100 via Google Home
2022-06-22 13:28:36
Anyone able to help with this one?
Options
2022-06-23 03:51:46 - last edited 2022-06-23 03:54:43

Hello  @dano1066 
Thank you for the feedback.
I noticed you have opened a support ticket TKID220608589 and around a week ago our team checked the event log and did not see the delay on sending request to the APP or device.  I will need to double-check with our team and see if there is any detailed information for diagnosing with the detailed time stamps you provided and would like to follow up your case on the support email directly. 
The Tapo Plug responds fast when plug is connected to Hotspot Mobile Wi-Fi, you could try to connect Tapo Plug to a Guest Wi-Fi network (an isolated network to avoid the impact from other network device in the LAN network) 

Options
2022-06-23 09:22:19

@Solla-topee  Thanks for checking the logs. You are confirming that there is a hardware fault with this model of plug so, am I entitled to a refund or replacement? If TP links cloud makes a request to my home network, there would need to be a HTTP 200 response coming from the plug to acknowledge it received the request and did what it was told. If it did not do this, it will have timed out or returned some sort of negative response code. Since you confirmed this was not the case, it looks like the request to turn on the plug was a success, but it failed to turn the plug on/off. If this is what you saw, then it appears all of my plugs are defective. Do you know if a firmware update is on the way or do I just get a replacement for all of these defective plugs.

One thing that I dont understand, and makes me feel the logs weren't actually checked is that Google home will show an error to say "Something went wrong". If TP link was able to send the request to my home network and did not detect an issue, Google Home should be under the impression that everything went well. There is most definitely a network issue here. I dont believe the logs were actually checked.

I am not saying TP link is at fault here but you guys most definitely have the error logged somewhere. If Google sends a request to TP link to say "Turn on device ABC" it will wait for a response and when it does not get one, or gets an error response from the HTTP request, the cause of that error will be logged in your system somewhere. If not, surely the plugs themselves have some sort of log that will help.

I just want someone to help me debug this instead of constantly finding new things for me to do or ways to blame someone else. I have 10 tapo plugs and none of them are working right for me. Other brand smart plugs work fine and other tapo products work fine. Sure, it may be my home network but there's currently no reason to believe it is. You guys have failed to provide me with anything to help debug the issue. It's just finger pointing and "have you tried this". It feels like I am talking with a chatbot over email. It has been weeks now and I have asked several times if someone can check the logs and it has been ignored every time.

If it is a case that TP links cloud network tries to send a request to my home network to turn on a plug and you get back some error message to suggest my home network rejected the request or something, this is great. I can go to my ISP with this information and get the issue fixed. I have already called them and they said they see no issues and have optimised the network for low bandwidth devices. Without more substantial information on the cause of the problem, what can they really do? This is why I have been asking for help. It may not be TP links fault but you guys have the answer to what is wrong. The cloud network cant communicate with my home network effectively and i have no access to any logs to diagnose why. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 808

Replies: 3