Tapo C100 SD Card Recording Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-15 14:38:00 - last edited 2022-11-03 09:27:33
Model: Tapo C100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.15

I have 2x Tapo C100 (V2 running firmware 1.1.15) running in continuous recording mode, I've put 2 brand new Class 10 SD cards bought directly from Amazon, formatted for the cameras and the MP4's that are generated cannot be read by any player when the SD card is pulled out of the camera and connected to a computer.

The odd part is that I can view the playback from the application so the files are being written properly and the SD cards aren't the issue.

Pretty sure I'm opening the right files (the ones with the date in number format not the xxxxx_...).

Decided to test the SD cards just to be sure they're not fake and both are genuine and have decent speed. Here is the result of one of them:

Warning: Only 29801 of 29802 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 18.0 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Now the other weird part is I have an old almost dying SanDisk card (that will literally write at half of the speed of the Intenso card), formatted it and the MP4's were able to be read by the computer.

Both the SanDisk and Intenso cards are 32GB. I've tried formatting an Intenso card and trying again.... same issue. At this point I'm pretty sure this is some kind of firmware issue. Would be nice if it is fixed.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C100 SD Card Recording Issue
2022-08-16 03:43:09

Hello  @ezcrazy 

Sorry for the late reply, may I know did the problem get solved at last. 

From your description, the computer have trouble reading the files stores in certain SD card, you may copy the paste the video clip mp4.file to the Desktop and see if the files can be played. Another possibility is that the SD card is not suitable for camera recording which is continuous fast & write state and files are corrupted in the recording process,  you may use a different brand SD card in the camera. 

How can I view the video recordings of camera from the SD card on a computer?

Options
2022-08-16 13:30:30

@Solla-topee Hello,

I've already tried copying the files to my computer and was still not able to read them. The odd part is after benchmarking these cards, they're 2x faster than the half dead SanDisk card that worked.

If it weren't for testing them I would have said these cards were fake. As a test I've put them into a non TP-Link camera and the recordings were fine. I'll order a 16 GB card from SanDisk just to see if it works because I'm willing to bet it has something to do with how the firmware doesn't like the SD card's capacity being 16 GB.

Options
2022-08-17 03:04:16

Hello @ezcrazy 

Thank you for more testing.  It seems the SD card is accepted by cameras, but somehow the recordings can not be read. 

You may also reach SD manufacture and see if they have any more professional suggestions like if there is any SD card reading protection or if it is suitable for camera continuous recording. 

If still the same, can you share more details with ' MP4's cannot be read by any player ', like what players you've tried

Please also attach a photo of the SD card, a photo of Mp4 files and error message for us to look into the problem further, thanks.

Options