Video playback lagging after update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-21 06:54:59 - last edited 2022-08-23 07:18:51
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.18

Hi team,

I have a tp link c200 installed which has been working fine however after the update it received yesterday for 1.1.18 the playback section is completely unusable. While playback it would play normally for a few seconds then the frame freezes and jumps ahead 20-30 seconds. Yes the recording is present because when I manually adjust the slider I can see the part of the recording it skips. However it's just annoying and broken now. Is there anyway to downgrade back to 1.16. Also did an app update yesterday (for the tapo app) so not sure what's causing this. Other cameras work fine so I suspected it is the c200 update. Anyway you can help me reverse this update . It would be great. I can't go a day without cctvs working and this is just a pain. App version is 2.9.7 and I have an iPhone 12, iPhone 13pro both on 15.6. Both have access to these cameras and work fine but the c200 playback is the only one affected. Kindly help

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Fix: IOS Tapo APP 2.9.7 Video playback lagging-Solution
2022-08-22 00:54:36 - last edited 2022-08-29 09:11:21

Hello everyone, 

Thanks a lot for reporting choppy or lagging playback issue with IOS Tapo APP 2.9.7,  as you noticed this was a quick fix in  IOS Tapo APP 2.9.8  APP update,here are some details about the fix. 

Problem Description :
With IOS Tapo APP 2.9.7, the IOS mobile device may experience jumped frames when view cam Playback.  Playback may freeze for a few secs and jumps the frame for some time. 

Fix/ Solution:  Fix on the IOS Tapo  APP 2.9.8 and later app version .

Please make sure your Tapo APP is up to date in the APP store. 

As this has been confirmed to be fixed in the newer version APP, this topic will be temporarily closed for further comments, you could Start a New Thread for any similar issue and help attach some information here : 

1. a video clip link showing the phenomena  2. Tapo camera log  3. Tapo APP version 4. model of your phone and its Android or IOS version. 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Video playback lagging after update-Solution
2022-08-23 06:05:42 - last edited 2022-08-23 07:18:51

@Solla-topee Thanks. Just got 2.9.8 app update on ios and so far I don't see the playback issue being reproduced. Appreciate you guys getting this fixed.

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Video playback lagging after update
2022-08-21 06:57:19

@Ad505 also before you ask my router settings are unchanged and it worked the same way for months now without issues. Signal strength is -59 and I have already did a reset, formatted the sd card from the tapo app and tried using on an android device too.

Options
Fix: IOS Tapo APP 2.9.7 Video playback lagging-Solution
2022-08-22 00:54:36 - last edited 2022-08-29 09:11:21

Hello everyone, 

Thanks a lot for reporting choppy or lagging playback issue with IOS Tapo APP 2.9.7,  as you noticed this was a quick fix in  IOS Tapo APP 2.9.8  APP update,here are some details about the fix. 

Problem Description :
With IOS Tapo APP 2.9.7, the IOS mobile device may experience jumped frames when view cam Playback.  Playback may freeze for a few secs and jumps the frame for some time. 

Fix/ Solution:  Fix on the IOS Tapo  APP 2.9.8 and later app version .

Please make sure your Tapo APP is up to date in the APP store. 

As this has been confirmed to be fixed in the newer version APP, this topic will be temporarily closed for further comments, you could Start a New Thread for any similar issue and help attach some information here : 

1. a video clip link showing the phenomena  2. Tapo camera log  3. Tapo APP version 4. model of your phone and its Android or IOS version. 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-22 12:23:01 - last edited 2022-08-22 13:41:19

Same video playback issue.

Model: Tapo C200

Hardware Version: V2

Firmware Version: 1.1.19

I'm using: iOS and iPadOS 15.6.1

Options
2022-08-22 13:22:43

@Ad505 

The same repy from support as you. Must be a standard throwout, just to keep you busy. 
if they're getting multiple messages with the same problem dont you think that they might be able to put 2 &2 together.?

Options
2022-08-22 13:30:10

@Solla-topee Hi. I just got my hands on an old android device. It’s a samsung not sure of the model however the app was not updated and it worked perfectly fine which leads me to believe it has something to do with the latest app update for ios. The older app on android works fine but the iphones did an auto update and it's barely usable for any of the cameras now. All play for 5-10 secs then the frame freezes and jumps 30-40 seconds ahead sometimes its stuck for upto a minute

Options
2022-08-22 13:33:08

@Rayjm yeah seems like the way to go here. Not really impressed tbh but since I bought a bunch of these cameras altogether and return window closed by the time I had them setup I had no option but to use them just to realise these cameras lack basic functions such as third party cloud storage, notification when cameras go offline, and no email with images of motion detection. I've already had one of these cameras stolen and don't have a clue who took it. I've got 8 cameras and They want me to pay for tapo care which is basically the cost of 4 new camera for each year. Disapp

Options
2022-08-22 13:40:04
Unfortunately I do not have access to a pc right now so won’t be able to access the logs however I checked and as quoted on my previous replies the android app which has not been updated plays videos just fine. It’s the apps that were updated. They seem to have issues with playback
Options
2022-08-22 13:53:02 - last edited 2022-08-22 13:53:44

@Ad505 as I said on my original post, android seems just fine. I keep that one up to date but not sure when the last update was installed but can say that if the update was available then it would have got updated.

Im sure its the Apple IOS update thats the problem.

Options
2022-08-22 14:16:38

@Rayjm yes I did saw your post after which I tried an android and you were right. I have the old app so didn't update incase it got stuck too however all iOS devices were auto updated to latest tapo app and now have that stutter on all camera models. Let's see what support has to say. 

Options
2022-08-22 17:50:05

@Ad505 

Android app ver 2.8.20.

All working OK.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1909

Replies: 14