Tapo plug never turning off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-25 08:07:19
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

As mentionned here : https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/508498

I've been experiencing the same thing.

The tapo plug won't turn off anymore. Even if the tapi is turned off (and you can here the click sound), it still keeps providing power to the connected equipment.

Is there any chance this is going to be solved with a firmware update ?

I have 6/7 P100 connected, and if this keeps happening, i'll have to find something else.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo plug never turning off
2022-08-26 00:47:00

Hello   @DarkChoppy 

Thank you fo the feedback. If you can hear a click sound when turn the plug On/OFF but it will not cut off the power to the connected home appliance

• You could try a  factory reset the Tapo smart plug. Then try to manually turn on/off the plug and see if that makes any difference.
  • Try a different home appliance that connected to the plug.
  • Confirm the connected device load is within the Maxium load of the Tapo P100 Plug as spec here as spec here

If the problem persist, it could be a defective unit, we're recommending reach retailer or local support to check device warranty. 

Options
2022-08-26 11:06:25

@Solla-topee Thank you for your answer.

This really feels like a firmware issue.

So i've been trying to turn it on and off last days, without any effect on the power : it stayed on whatever i tried.

Today i just tried a factory reset as asked. Then i added it back again to the tapo app. Tried turning it off and on again, manually, then via the application. No change at all, i can hear the click sound, but the power supply doesn't change.

So at this point i unplugged the p100, plugged another outlet and do something else for half an hour.

Back at it later, i needed to plug in my device again, so i plug the tapo in. Well, this times its off by default. So i turn it on manually, and it works. I get to my phone and try turning it off there. Works again.

It seems like putting the tapo out of the outlet for some time got it back to its normal state.

Options
2022-08-29 02:54:35

Hello   @DarkChoppy 

thank you for sharing more case details, if you can hear a click sound the plug responds the command over interent, it should cut off power or power to the connected device, if not it's more like some hardware issue with that unit. You could observe the performance if still the same problem, i recommend checking the device warranty as suggested above. 

Thank you for your time with troubleshooting. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2096

Replies: 3