Tapo C310 cameras and app lag problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-18 07:17:32 - last edited 2022-09-20 01:12:47
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

I'm using the Tapo app to monitor four Tapo C310 cameras on an iPad mini.

The cameras we purchased separately and added to the app in various stages.

The 4th camera would not connect to the router. The error was failed to get ip address. It is now connected through an extended successfully. I do not understand why it will not connect to the router directly as the other 3 did. The router is a tp-link Archer MR400. The extender is tp-link N300.

The app had taken up all spare storage and I could not do any system updates. The only way I could find to release the space was to delete the app and reinstall it. Prior to deleting the app it worked perfectly with instant viewing on all 4 cameras.

After reinstalling, when I use the grid view to see all 4 views, all of the cameras have a lag of up to 5 minutes which is totally unacceptable. If I select one view, the clock rapidly counts up to the correct time.

The problem is with the Tapo app. Version is 2.9.11. I have seen this reported by other users but never seen a resolution.

Also the app frequently crashes.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tapo C310 cameras and app lag problems
2022-09-19 02:08:43

@Vernissa 

In most cases, this is because the 4-Grid streaming requires the high decoding capability on your mobile device. 

As each Tapo C310 uses 3MP, when viewing 4 of them together at the same time, it requires 12MP decoding capability on the mobile device.

Thus it is recommended to view on a different mobile device with higher spec compared with the current device.  You could also the 4K or 8K resolution video on a mobile device to test is decoding capability and see how it goes. 

Please also confirm the camera receives strong Wi-Fi signal. Confirm the device firmware and APP are both up to date. 

Options
2022-09-26 11:30:20

@Solla-topee 

The device firmware and app are all up to date. All cameras receive a good wifi signal.

The app on the iPad worked perfectly prior to reinstalling the app. The previous version was installed probably about 1 year ago. I have viewed it on a different device with the same lag resulting.

Options
2022-09-27 09:30:30 - last edited 2022-09-27 09:32:47

Hello @Vernissa 

Thank you for more case details.

Make sure the mobile device is a new generation phone/ tablet if possible. 

For test purpose, you could try to stream the 4K video and see if you can stream the video fluently? 

If still the same , please check my PM and help collect the APP log and share the log file with us.

May I know the model of your iPadMini and the mobile device you've tested.  Please share a photo showing the lag in 4 grid view, thanks. 

Options
2022-09-27 14:31:44

@Vernissa 

The latest sequence of events are:-

App crashed, despite latest update saying it was to make it more stable.

On restarting app the 4 cameras set up to view only contained 1 camera view. Previously all 4 cameras were displayed.

Added 2 more cameras and app ran perfectly. No lag on all 3 cameras.

Next day added the 4th camera to the view and app crashed while trying to add camera to view.

Since then, the lag has resumed, firstly on 3 cameras, and also with 4.

How can I get this app to work as it should?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 480

Replies: 4

Related Articles