New WiFi Hub - unreachable smart plugs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-07 21:26:56 - last edited 2022-10-18 01:30:32

I have 2 smart plugs which have been working via TP-LINK Kasa and Alexa on my mobile phone.

However, I just got a new BT Smart Hub 2 and although the SSID is the same, the password has changed. The plugs are now "unreachable".

I have all my equipment, including my phone with Alexa, working with the new hub except these 2 plugs. The plugs are the same distance (in some cases less distance in fact) from the hub as all my working equipment. The plugs try to connect but fail. I am guessing I need to change the password to the new router password somewhere for the TP-LINK Kasa set up. But where and how? I can't find anything in Kasa to do that. I read somewhere about using 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 but can't get either of these to load in my browser, and I'm not sure that's the answer anyway. Completely confused. Why is this so difficult?

I have factory reset one of the smart plugs as suggested in other similar threads here. However, the plug which is now flashing orange & green still doesn't connect. I uninstalled Kasa, re-installed, Kasa is still showing the plugs but as before, greyed out. I tried this all again with the smart plug right beside the hub, same - no connection.

Losing the will to live.

SOLVED

Despite the 2 plugs showing up greyed out and unreachable, the way to connect them to the network is to click the "+" sign in top right hand corner of Kasa "Device" screen and "add" them again (!!) as if not there (!!). This takes one eventually to a screen where you can put in the right wifi password. This does not result in two extra plugs turning up, but the old greyed out ones turn into connected ones (I called the devices by the same names). I have no idea how anyone is supposed to know this.

This must be some of the most counter-intuitive software I have ever used. I design, code, and use software and it took me hours to guess this solution.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New WiFi Hub - unreachable smart plugs-Solution
2022-10-17 20:13:35 - last edited 2022-10-18 01:30:32

@Solla-topee

Solla-topee wrote

@Griffinit 

Thank you for starting a detailed thread and sharing the solution with the community. 

In case any user experience the same trouble, if a new Wi-Fi router have the same Wi-Fi SSID and same wireless  security type ( like WPA/WPA2 AES) as the old Wi-Fi router, usually kasa smart device should connect to the same Wi-Fi SSID of new router directly, you could reboot the kasa device and see if that happens. 

If that does not work, reset and reinstall the kasa device and link it to the new Wi-Fi router is a good step. 

Thank you again for the sharing!

This won't work if the new Wi-Fi router has a different password, I tried all that, none of it works, not even re-installing Kasa or the Kasa device. The ONLY way is to use the + sign to add as a completely new item in the Kasa software. It's the only way to offer an option to enter the new password.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:New WiFi Hub - unreachable smart plugs
2022-10-17 10:47:42

@Griffinit 

Thank you for starting a detailed thread and sharing the solution with the community. 

In case any user experience the same trouble, if a new Wi-Fi router have the same Wi-Fi SSID and same wireless  security type ( like WPA/WPA2 AES) as the old Wi-Fi router, usually kasa smart device should connect to the same Wi-Fi SSID of new router directly, you could reboot the kasa device and see if that happens. 

If that does not work, reset and reinstall the kasa device and link it to the new Wi-Fi router is a good step. 

Options
Re:New WiFi Hub - unreachable smart plugs-Solution
2022-10-17 20:13:35 - last edited 2022-10-18 01:30:32

@Solla-topee

Solla-topee wrote

@Griffinit 

This won't work if the new Wi-Fi router has a different password, I tried all that, none of it works, not even re-installing Kasa or the Kasa device. The ONLY way is to use the + sign to add as a completely new item in the Kasa software. It's the only way to offer an option to enter the new password.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:New WiFi Hub - unreachable smart plugs
2022-10-18 01:30:23

@Griffinit 

I see what happened in your case, I remember a user was able to successfully switch the smart devices to the new Wi-Fi SSID by adjusting the security type & password to the same,  it looks like this may not apply for all routers. thank you again for the sharing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 411

Replies: 3